2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi My name is Rob, but I'll be posting under the user name of Joe90, which I use also on the off-roading forum I'm a member of.
I presently drive a Defender 90 (1996 300tdi) which was my play-thing up until I sold my Merc Vito 115 cdi (van), so until I get my CR-Z GT-nav in Nov'11, that will be my daily drive.
I've been into all things 4 wheel ever since I passed my test back in '86, so I've tried out all manner of vehicles, some pretty good, but most just ordinary.
My first off-roader was a Kia Sorento (don't laugh - it was better than you might think, though a little heavy & running on DERV), which I got chipped - big difference there, beating lots of BMW X5's & Rangies's much to their amazement. It was pretty good off-road too, but with bad clearance & independent front suspension.
Then I got a 200tdi Defender & sold that when it was 22 years old & pretty knackered. My 300tdi Defender was bought un-modified & I'm well on the way to modding that to be better than my modded 200tdi.
But the need for speed has driven me to look for a more enjoyable & pleasurable daily ride for the future (comfort in a Defender doesn't exist!;)). With a new job starting soon & the prospect of 25,000 miles per year to & from work looming I need something cheaper, but enjoyable to get me there...hence the CR-Z. My wife tried to persuade me to get a new Prius, more because she wanted me to swap it with her 2nd-gen Prius (which is damn good & pretty nippy too), but that wasn't what I was looking for. The CR-Z however ticked all the right boxes, it's just a shame it's coming in 5 months time!!!!
Still plenty of time to plan & save for the mods I want: HKS Racing Suction & (possibly HKS as designed for Honda - maybe Noblese, not sure about Spoon & Mugen way too expensive for any benefits gained) exhaust, fast-road geometry set-up & maybe a re-mapping (if anyone does it yet) so the engine knows what to do with all that extra air it's sucking in. I'll probably go to TDI as they've been helpful educating me so far, but being south coast based would like recommendations on you to try who may be as good more locally - any thoughts? With the ehaust I want something a bit more discrete than most - doesn't fit well with a 45 year old driving round with a noisy exhaust, attracting unwelcome attention - if you know what I mean. I'm happier to blend in with my surroundings, though that is pretty hard in a white 90 at present! I'm looking for a good performance upgrade with the exhaust, so the Noblese (if I can get it) fits the bill better & it is discrete too; but who in the UK does it? Same goes for a Spoon, but I don't know how that sounds idling.
I'm OK at smaller mods (done lots to get my stock 90 running better than she was when I got her), but modding a new (under warranty) CR-Z is something I prefer to leave to tuners, so my budget is a little constrained, but I'm keen to emulate the HKS crowd of CR-Z modders I've seen on the web, to try & get up to 150bhp with a lighter tune, than go all out with super-charging etc at this stage.
As you can probably tell by now, I'm a rambler (not the anti-4x4 brigade type, just the wordy-type) too, so I'll stop here, but if anyone can advise on the mods above, I'm all ears.
Cheers,
Rob

·
JPP
1,555 Posts
Hello and :welcome4: Rob.......[smilie=thatworks.g:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Didnt read the full post, was soo long lol

But hello and welcome :facepalm:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - I'll try & keep em shorter in future.
For now I'm just reading mostly, as can't get too excited about my CR-Z - 5 months is a long wait; had 3 months to wait for the Merc Vito & that WAS a long time 3 years ago.
I'll try catching up with the forum every so often, but I'm not a regular on the PC, even though I've got time on my hands - mostly I'll be in my 90 doing some work on it for now - got to get the boost upped, now I've hit 74mph with a following wind downhill (Ooohhh that's real fast:(, but it IS for a stock 300tdi 1996 Defender running on bio-diesel!) Thanks & see you all soon.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Hi and welcome along :) . Sumo Power is in Rye in East Sussex. Not close but still on the South Coast :). They can sort you out. Look up SumoCazza on here.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Welcome mate! First mod I would reccomend is a :civinfo: sticker!! :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
welcome along mate. the noblesse parts are sexy but have you seen the price for the exhaust? ouch!!!! id get the spoon n1 if i were you much cheaper and easier to get her in the uk.

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
Hi and Welcome! them defenders are one torquey car..slow but in a way you can feel that torque in the car..

Must post up a pic of one i use to drive :D

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
Hi rob good name that ;)

If you have any crz questions just shout. And I'll take you for a run in mine if you want

1 - 17 of 17 Posts