2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself as I've registered today!. I've been a huge german car fan and have owned over 60 VAG cars but am now looking for a 1.8 Civic Type S GT and have been doing lots of online research where I found this fantastic forum so thought it would be wise to join!.
My first question is .... how easy is it to fit a type R spoiler to a Type S and what costs are involved for the part, painting and fitting please?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's not a hard job at all, you're looking around £100 I think for a painted part.

Fitting it is down to you really, some people just seal them on, some drill through their boot and bolt them on, although with your Type S you might have the bolts there already, I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck though buddy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

It's not a hard job at all, you're looking around £100 I think for a painted part.

Fitting it is down to you really, some people just seal them on, some drill through their boot and bolt them on, although with your Type S you might have the bolts there already, I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck though buddy!
Many thanks mate, I've already found the thread re fitting the spoiler and indeed it does look easy enough to do either way (bonded or bolted), however it would seem the cheap aftermarket spoilers don't fit that well?... anyway I need to find a good type S to buy first!!!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just bonded a Type R/Seeker combo to my boot and it's solid. It's an OEM spoiler, so fitment is great. I'd recommend you hold out for a genuine honda one (preferably in your colour) rather than buy a replica. You're probably looking at £80-£100 for painting if it is in a different colour.

You will most likely need to replace the boot struts, too! I have to help my boot up to the fully open position, otherwise it slowly starts to come down on my head. On the plus side, it's really easy to close, now! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! Just bonded a Type R/Seeker combo to my boot and it's solid. It's an OEM spoiler, so fitment is great. I'd recommend you hold out for a genuine honda one (preferably in your colour) rather than buy a replica. You're probably looking at £80-£100 for painting if it is in a different colour.

You will most likely need to replace the boot struts, too! I have to help my boot up to the fully open position, otherwise it slowly starts to come down on my head. On the plus side, it's really easy to close, now! :D
Thanks for that info mate and very good point re boot struts, that had not even crossed my mind!!!... My missus would go ape if it cracked her on the head because "you just had to have a bigger spoiler, didn't you?"!!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Thanks for that info mate and very good point re boot struts, that had not even crossed my mind!!!... My missus would go ape if it cracked her on the head because "you just had to have a bigger spoiler, didn't you?"!!
It doesn't come down at dangerous speeds or anything. it just slowly lowers itself unless you push it right to the top, then it's happy to stay there.

I've been emailing a company called SGS engineering about some stronger ones. Going to cost about £40 for a pair. Seem pretty easy to swap out, so i'll let you know how they are when i get/fit them. Told them there's about an extra 3Kg of weight on, so we'll see if they do the job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't come down at dangerous speeds or anything. it just slowly lowers itself unless you push it right to the top, then it's happy to stay there.

I've been emailing a company called SGS engineering about some stronger ones. Going to cost about £40 for a pair. Seem pretty easy to swap out, so i'll let you know how they are when i get/fit them. Told them there's about an extra 3Kg of weight on, so we'll see if they do the job!
Perfect mate, hope they do the job and look forward to hearing back from you.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Perfect mate, hope they do the job and look forward to hearing back from you.
Ordered them. They cost £47 delivered and i should get them tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to find time to fit them this weekend and get back to you.

keep an eye out for a genuine spoiler, though! They tend to go pretty quickly once they are up for sale! Check ebay and gumtree now and again. Might grab a bargain!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered them. They cost £47 delivered and i should get them tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to find time to fit them this weekend and get back to you.

keep an eye out for a genuine spoiler, though! They tend to go pretty quickly once they are up for sale! Check ebay and gumtree now and again. Might grab a bargain!
Hi mate, did you get your struts?, if so what are your thoughts on the quality of them and how long did fitting take please?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Got the struts fitted today. Easy-peasy to get on and off. Just needed somebody to hold the boot open while i did it. When i contacted SGS they asked how much additional weight was on the boot and i told them an extra 3Kgs (2.8kg for the type R, plus a bit extra for the seeker fin).

They look a little different to OEM in that the ends with the ball joints are silver, not black like standard, but that doesn't bother me. It might others. Even with just one installed, the boot lid opened itself (although slowly) but with 2 installed it's spot on. Opens nicely and closes with about as much force as it took before the spoiler went on.

Another user on here said that he could hear the struts when he went over bumps, as when the boot moves slightly, the struts extended slightly and made a noise. I drove to tesco and back over several bumps and couldn't hear anything, but i'll keep an ear out.

So far, so good!

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
Hello mate & welcome to Civinfo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the struts fitted today. Easy-peasy to get on and off. Just needed somebody to hold the boot open while i did it. When i contacted SGS they asked how much additional weight was on the boot and i told them an extra 3Kgs (2.8kg for the type R, plus a bit extra for the seeker fin).

They look a little different to OEM in that the ends with the ball joints are silver, not black like standard, but that doesn't bother me. It might others. Even with just one installed, the boot lid opened itself (although slowly) but with 2 installed it's spot on. Opens nicely and closes with about as much force as it took before the spoiler went on.

Another user on here said that he could hear the struts when he went over bumps, as when the boot moves slightly, the struts extended slightly and made a noise. I drove to tesco and back over several bumps and couldn't hear anything, but i'll keep an ear out.

Thanks mate, sounds good so I will look into these as and when I get my car and the spoiler then fitted to it.

So far, so good!
Thanks mate, sounds good so I will look into these as and when I get my car and the spoiler then fitted to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts