2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a newbie, hope someone can help me!

Ok where do I start?

A year ago I began to have a problem with my 2009 2.2cdti honda civic type s gt overheating rear drivers side wheel. The smell of burning was terrible. The more I drove the hotter it got until eventually a loud squealing noise started to happen.

Of course I brought my car to the garage straight away. I was told that I need new rear brake pads so I replaced and all was good until 3 months later the burning and loud sound started all over again. Back to the garage I went same thing but this time replaced rear brake caliper on driver side. All was good until a few weeks later when the same noise happened again. This time the garage changed the rear caliper on the passenger side. On I went and then once again the same thing occurred. This time I replaced the rear pad on driver side as the new caliper was seized. So replaced the new caliper with another. All was good until 2 days ago when the same sound happened again. So again I called into the garage and I'm been told that everything is perfect only that both rear pads need to be replaced again. So that means I have replaced rear pads 3 times over 6 month period.

The only thing I know is the loud squealing sound can occur for long periods or like this morning on and off, however this evening there was no sound at all. As soon as I brake the sound disappears and then returns about 2/3 minutes later. The garage has told me that the rear wheels are all moving freely and that the handbrake is working fine so nobody can figure out why this is happening. When replacing brakes the garage has cleaned and removed excess dirt and even greased the pads so that they don't become seized again but even this has not helped.

The garage has replaced both rear calipers, 3 rear brake pads, and the problem is still not fixed? Has anyone got any idea on what could be wrong?

Please Help thank you.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Something definitely seems to be wrong with your rear breaks, as your going through the pads in no time. Personally, I'd get my brakes flushed and fresh fluid put in. You may have a air bubble in your system which is preventing your calipers from releasing after breaking?

This is just my guess, I'm no mechanic and this maybe a ludicrous idea, but it's an idea nevertheless.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
It's not the hydraulic system .

The handbrake may be too tight or else they aren't greasing and filing the pads before installation and so they are too tight

Take it somewhere decent

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,572 Posts
I've noticed through the service history that my rear discs and pads were changed about 5k before I bought the car.. On inspection of both, they appeared in a sh*t state with more grooves than the 70's "I don't remember the 70's just assuming". Had to change the pads and that kind of smoothened the grooves out but next time round it looks as though the Discs and pads will need doing.. Oh!, and both rear wheels spin freely so it's a weird one to get so much wear..[smilie=confuzzled.:

Any ideas on a remedy anyone? anyone had the same? I don't drive like a k*ob and brake excessively..

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts

The handbrake may be too tight or else they aren't greasing and filing the pads before installation and so they are too tight

Take it somewhere decent
+1

Can't comment on the handbrake (my car has separate drum brakes for that) but I've had to file the edges of my brake pads every time I've fitted them to my Accord to ensure they fit freely... I have no idea why this should be necessary, but it is.

...more grooves than the 70's "I don't remember the 70's just assuming". ...
I remember the 70's... it was fantastic!

·
2,572 Posts
+1

Can't comment on the handbrake (my car has separate drum brakes for that) but I've had to file the edges of my brake pads every time I've fitted them to my Accord to ensure they fit freely... I have no idea why this should be necessary, but it is.

I do too but don't want everyone to know haha

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts

Take it somewhere decent

+2

So do I, the decade got better as it went on, culminating in '79's Christmas #1...

I had the same problem with my O/S/R. Caliper seized, ate through a set of pads in no time, horrible squeaking noise which disappeared under braking.

A refurbed caliper, new set of pads, new discs (old one was badly scored), and a bleed of the fluid sorted it.

I'd take it to another garage / mechanic, as Stoney says.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
What about wheel bearing? I had a similar problem a month ago with the front driver side wheel that got really hot.
I've changed discs and pads as they were due anyway but this didn't kept my wheel overheating. So I changed the wheel bearing and hub and this solved the overheating issue. The rear bearings are not to expensive so it might worth to change them.

Good luck

·
Nae Bother...
370 Posts
stoney said:

Take it somewhere decent
+1

I agree with this, my handbrake was practically coming up to my chin when I first got the car, popped the center console off and gave her a tighten. I did a little too much as I felt the car wasn't pulling as well and noticed that the rear wheels were getting really warm even after a short drive. Released the handbrake cable a little and now it's fine.

I would also recommend getting your brakes bled and fluid replaced too just to cover every angle. If this doesn't work then I'd maybe look into changing the whole hub assembly and see if that helps the problem.

Hope this helps.

·
2,572 Posts
+1

I agree with this, my handbrake was practically coming up to my chin when I first got the car, popped the center console off and gave her a tighten. I did a little too much as I felt the car wasn't pulling as well and noticed that the rear wheels were getting really warm even after a short drive. Released the handbrake cable a little and now it's fine.

I would also recommend getting your brakes bled and fluid replaced too just to cover every angle. If this doesn't work then I'd maybe look into changing the whole hub assembly and see if that helps the problem.

Hope this helps.
I'm going to try slackening off the handbrake, wheels seem to spin freely though...

Reactions: bboy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts