2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Love the forum and have found loads of useful information on this forum and the wiki.

I used to sell the 8th gen from new so though making my choice would be easy but the more I look into it the further I get to making a decision.

To start I was looking at a 2.2 diesel es/sport because I loved the torque and assumed the engine to be built proof. The more I ve looked into it I m now leaning towards the petrol as I will be doing low mileage and have been warned that the diesel uses a lot of oil and can have issues with edf valve?? (I am no mechanic)

I ve got a maximum of 5k and I m looking for an 06/07 es/sport surely this is realistic?

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks John

Merry Christmas

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
The 2.2 uses next to NO oil

The EGR valve probably does need cleaning every ...say... 24k miles or so but there's an excellent "How-To" on here and it's not that hard to do.

Mileage = Smileage. You don't get that much more mpg in town running vs the Petrol but The easy driving style of the derv is great. Whatever extra economy is just a bonus.

Do NOT let those things be the deciding factor though.

The Derv is prone to Clutch/DMF issues PARTICULARLY if you remap.
Mine is an 07 and is now on 111K miles. Clutch is still ok but I bought the vehicle at 98k miles and obviously don't know when/if it was changed.

Take both for a test drive and see which one you prefer.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
The "2.2 engine is very reliable if serviced correctly , there is on here well documented issues with clutch slip problems, so try before you buy, you may get a high miler for that money

·
Registered
815 Posts
Welcome

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

Reactions: Johnboymk1

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Hi, I have recently sold a 2.2 which I had for 6 years (now got 1.6 diesel). Had mine from new and had 80k when I sold it, it did use some oil but not a lot - would only need topping up about a litre every 7/8k. Would definately try them both - the 2.2 has so much torque compared to the petrol. I was given petrol civic as vourtesy cars and couldn't believe the difference.

As others say, can be prone to clutch issues so need to check that it is not slipping or has been changed. EGR valve does need cleaning every couple of years but is an easy and cheap DIY job using the 'How to' on this website. I averaged 49 mpg over the 80k, but did a lot of motorway so expect less if town driving.

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
:hello2: & :welcome4: to :civinfo: mate:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts