2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I very recently joined this site, i currently do not have a civic but will be choosing a Civic as my next motor. I have owned Honda's in the past (previous Rex owner) so know all about their legendary VTEC engines. I have decided that i want an EX model and initially was set on the 1.8 but now unsure as been hearing good things about the Diesel engine!!

Can anyone tell me in simple terms the pros and cons of each? I will use the motor to drive to and from work (22 mile round trip) and it will be a company car purchase if that assists. I have test driven the 1.8 and my fisrt impression was thhat it lacked a little zest! Unsure if that was more down to me driving a little apprehensively or the engine itself. The salesman suggested i try a fdiesel as it has more torque. I currently have a diesel and really wanted a petro; engine with a bit of zip (unfiortunately the Type R is impracticle, need 5 doors....:oops:!). I turned over a diesel and it sounded very noisey which put me right off but since then have done some reading up and the 2.2 diesel is supposed to be really quite, powerful and a bit special.

If anyone can help a much confused member i would be eternally greatful.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Hi I very recently joined this site, i currently do not have a civic but will be choosing a Civic as my next motor. I have owned Honda's in the past (previous Rex owner) so know all about their legendary VTEC engines. I have decided that i want an EX model and initially was set on the 1.8 but now unsure as been hearing good things about the Diesel engine!!

Can anyone tell me in simple terms the pros and cons of each? I will use the motor to drive to and from work (22 mile round trip) and it will be a company car purchase if that assists. I have test driven the 1.8 and my fisrt impression was thhat it lacked a little zest! Unsure if that was more down to me driving a little apprehensively or the engine itself. The salesman suggested i try a fdiesel as it has more torque. I currently have a diesel and really wanted a petro; engine with a bit of zip (unfiortunately the Type R is impracticle, need 5 doors....:oops:!). I turned over a diesel and it sounded very noisey which put me right off but since then have done some reading up and the 2.2 diesel is supposed to be really quite, powerful and a bit special.

If anyone can help a much confused member i would be eternally greatful.

Cheers
Hello and welcome...

I tried both and did find the oil burner fun to drive with the torque and subsequent pick up, however in the end went for the petrol. Reasons, well looking at the stats, there is not much in it, diesel is 1 sec quicker 0..62 however petrol is 1 MPH better off on the top end if my memory serves me correctly.

Final deciding factor? Cost & Quietness, diesel more expensive and slightly noisier. Hope this helps...:?:

Cheers,

Bob...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. what you say makes sense and i am leaning towards petrol for quietness and cost reasons.

Cheers

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
i am leaning towards petrol for quietness
I thought the diesel was the quietest (except when idling) ?

I've got the petrol but just because I wanted an auto, sorry, i-shift. If they had offered a diesel i-shift I would have gone for that without hesitation.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
...Final deciding factor? Cost & Quietness, diesel more expensive and slightly noisier. Hope this helps...
Bob...
Hello, dafe01 and welcome.

I agree with Bob on this one.

The diesel's ok if fancy ploughing a field in your spare time, then you probably won't notice the clanking.

A gentleman does NOT drive a diesel!

"I just phoned the local Gym and asked iif they could teach me how to do the splits.
They asked me how flexible I was.
I said not too bad really but I can't do Tuesdays or Thursdays!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts