2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mk8 has HID for dipped beam but halogen for high beam as they seem very amber compared to dipped.
Why would this be and can you just put HID in high beam seeing as autoleveller etc is already installed?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
HID's aren't good for separate high beam lights due to the slow warm up period - so you can't flash with them and they will tend to degenerate more quickly...

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
MOT Wise, If it isn't a halogen bulb, it is a fail:- That being said, it's the highbeam - If you're dazzling people with anything, you're doing it wrong!

In practice, you've got a few upgrade options for the High beam.

1. Legal, but least impactful:- Upgrade bulbs (Nightbreaker Laser or similar) - These will give you a little extra brightness, but it'll still be "warm" light.

2. Illegal, slight improvement:- 100W Halogen bulbs. I haven't tried these in person, but I've seen some evidence that actual 100W (RallyMaster) will yield improvement; However - There are requirements for wiring and fuses so as to not torch the car.

3. Illegal, Easy to fit, instant on, and a big improvement (Though you may sacrifice some of the beam pattern) - LED Upgrade bulbs. They'll slot straight in, and be a big improvement. Make sure you get something with a proper heatsink - The "Foglight" LED bulbs are awful. The light will come on instantly, and be much better than Halogens - Though I find there is a slight dim spot at the very centre of vision, which is not ideal (That's on a 9G reflector)

4. Illegal, Absolute highest possible brightness, but a good beam pattern and colour:- HIDs (You may as well spring for 55W HID High beams; These will give you the absolute best light output - And good beam patterns. The downsides; The bulbs won't last long (That being said, I have had them last a winter), and there is an initial warmup time, of ~10 seconds before you're up to speed. This makes flashing less effective (That said, the initial strike tends to be incredibly bright), but it isn't an issue on a country lane - If you dip for oncoming traffic and switch back on, it is a "Hot restrike", and you'll be instantly back to 100% Brightness.

You're in luck - I've just purchased a luxmeter, and a new set of HID ballasts as I plan to switch my High beams to HID for a trip to the NC500 next week - I've got LEDs in at the moment, so I'll see if I can do some testing for you.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
what your really looking for is to match the k rating off both bulbs that's what gives you the colour difference in theory
maybe someone has changed the original hids to a different rating to make the 2 seam so different
personally I wouldn't worry about it
I very rarely used high beam on my 8g with hids as standard

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I tried putting novsight led in mine but they didn't fit straight I had to grind them down with a Dremel to get them In the lamps

Then mess about earthing them in the lamps and thought sod it and put the original h1 bulb back in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts