2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find an expanation of these lights.

Are HID headlights the same as XENON's

- I had Xenon's (Bi-Xenon actually) on a previous car and thought they were excellent. Hoping that if I get a Civic that these will be similar.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to myself here :D Found this expanation

HID technology

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called xenon headlights because of the xenon gas used in the lamps. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate amounts of light upon startup and speed the warmup time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street and other stationary HID lamps, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. HID headlights use a small, purpose-designed metal halide lamp and produce more light than ordinary incandescent light bulbs (including quartz halogen lamps). The light from HID headlights has a distinct bluish tint when compared with normal headlights. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vaporized within the arc chamber.

HID headlamp bulbs produce between 2,800 and 3,000 lumens from 42 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 65 watts. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the Xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.

An HID headlamp requires a ballast. The ballast converts the 12 volts used in automotive electrical systems to the several thousand volts required to strike and maintain the arc.

Despite marketing claims to the contrary, HID headlamps' light output is not similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve.

The arc within an HID headlamp bulb generates considerable short-wave ultraviolet (UV) light, but none of it escapes the bulb. A UV-absorbing hard glass shield is incorporated around the bulb's arc tube. This is important to prevent degradation of UV-sensitive components and materials in headlamps, such as polycarbonate lenses and reflector hardcoats. The lamps do emit considerable near-UV light).

Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got an 1.8 Executive and notice a diference on the color for the "maximum" and "medium" lights (i'm sorry but dont know how to call those lights in english!). Though the medium is clearly white, the maximum as a slight yellow color.

Is this normal??

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yes, only the "medium" lights are HID. This is because they are slow(er) to start up, and you need the main beam ("maximum") lights to come on immediately (to flash, or whatever).

Hope that makes sense, in English.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Sim, somente as luzes “médias” HID. Isto é porque são (mais) lenta começar acima, e você necessita as luzes do feixe principal (“máximo”) vir em imediatamente (para piscar).

·
Registered
55 Posts
basegreen said:
Sim, somente as luzes “médias” SÃO ESCONDIDAS. Isto é porque são lenta (er) começar acima, e você necessita as luzes do feixe principal (“máximo”) vir em imediatamente (para piscar, ou o que quer que).
Sim, somente as luzes “médias” são HID. Isto é porque são lentas para arrancar, e você necessita que as luzes do feixe principal (“máximo”) acendam imediatamente (para piscar, ou o que quer que seja).

[smilie=thatworks.g:

Good Work!!!

Thank you! (Obrigado!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
basegreen said:
Yes, only the "medium" lights are HID. This is because they are slow(er) to start up, and you need the main beam ("maximum") lights to come on immediately (to flash, or whatever).

It makes sense, but still don't like to see the yellow color mixed with the white.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
BigBoysToys said:
basegreen said:

It makes sense, but still don't like to see the yellow color mixed with the white.
Which is why some people have replaced their main beams with whiter ones. Do a search.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just had my first good night-time drive through the North Yorkshire Moors tonight, nice dark winding roads and many humps where you lose the cats-eyes a lot! :)

One thing I've noticed with the headlights, the "m" curved shape that they project onto the road in front of you... the left curve is quite high and nicely lights up the road edges but I find the middle (lowest point between the 2 curves) which is in the centre of the road in front of you to fall a bit too short and not illuminate enough ahead of you...

i.e. you can EASILY see the lowest point inbetween the 2 curves of your beam come to a halt on the road in front of you, leaving a good section of road ahead of that in total darkness - so I use high-beam as much as possible tonight.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fedorov said:
One thing I've noticed with the headlights, the "m" curved shape that they project onto the road in front of you... the left curve is quite high and nicely lights up the road edges but I find the middle (lowest point between the 2 curves) which is in the centre of the road in front of you to fall a bit too short and not illuminate enough ahead of you...

i.e. you can EASILY see the lowest point inbetween the 2 curves of your beam come to a halt on the road in front of you, leaving a good section of road ahead of that in total darkness - so I use high-beam as much as possible tonight.

Anyone else notice this?
I have not got my Civic (yet). But, I use to have a Passat that had Xenon lights on it.

I noticed this 'feature' almost straight away - One thing you will notice though is that, if there is say a road sign in the 'area of darkness' up the road, it will be picked out and lit up like christmas.

Do the lights on the Civic do a " up and down " cycle on swicthing the engine on. looked very cool on the Passat.

One other point about Xenons and HIGH beam. I think the common term for this on cars that have the feature is a BI-Xenon (BMW also). The VW seemed to have a flap that would deflect the High Beam down to a main beam under normal driving. When you flick the high beam swicth, the Flap would lift out of the way, and you would get a massive beam of light that lit up the road for a million miles in front of you (well not quite a million but you get my drift). It was great for 'reminding' the dozy twonk coming the other way that they were dazzling you. I guess this is how they get around the 'warm up' period of the Xenons - Obviously more expensive as well.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I've found that the dipped beam spread is a bit blotchy, some bright areas and some not so bright. They are certainly better than the regular bulbs, but not the best HID I've seen. And yes, they do do a little up/down when you start the car as the auto-levelling thing does its stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts