2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!!!

I've had my Civic all of 4 days, and I've been looking at satnav/speed camera solutions to replace the Garmin Nuvi that I have at the moment.

What I want to do, is have 2 units. I don't always need my satnav, but I think a camera warning/laser detector would be useful, so I'm wondering has anybody tried, or managed to find a camera warning/laser detection system that has a screen/control unit small enough to fit in the cubby hole under the stereo, and use an external antenna that I can fee dup behind the dash and mount by the windscreen??

My thinking is that if I can find such a thing, I can have that permanently fitted, just opening the cubby hole when I'm driving, and then only have the satnav when I need it.

Any thoughts????

Steve

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not sure about the legalities of laser detectors,however i use a Snooper SR6 Neo which has laser detector facility but its not connected to the unit because i found it difficult to hide the detector behind the grille adjacent to the number plate.I tried fitting it to the place you suggested but its too deep to fit in the cubby-hole,also it was basicly out of a decent view,so i installed on the dashboard in the extreme right hand side of the dashboard near the tweeter and its location is ideal for keeping your eye on the road,its almost out of sight from the outside,so it can easily be covered by a cloth or the like,the antenna is placed tight into the corner of the windscreen and all the wires a hidden in the removable panel at the side of the dash(door opened).All in all it works very well,hope this helps.:D

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
No..Lazer/camera detectors (The ones that detect infrared), not the GPS ones, are NOT illegal yet
Talked about for some time but no legislation yet
I use a Novus Alpha..Great GPS detector with FREE updates for life

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
detecotrs for lasers are legal.... diffusers or disruotors (jammers) are defo not. They re usually fitted behind the grill and basically disrupt the signal.. though the fact that the return is knacked is a give away to the cop concerned. Thing about aser is that as soon as your pinged your done... its instantaneous so basically as oon as the detector fires up its too late. the best hpe you have is that it picks up scatter and gives the heads up.

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
I thought jamming was illegal and detectors are not, if you get pulled for detecting you just say that you are using your eyes!

I have heard of some sophisticated kits though that will block a laser for 5 seconds and then allow it to lock on giving you plenty of time to break.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
No..Lazer/camera detectors (The ones that detect infrared), not the GPS ones, are NOT illegal yet
Talked about for some time but no legislation yet
I use a Novus Alpha..Great GPS detector with FREE updates for life
I'm still running my TalexLite. Unfortunately my Talex subs have just run out, not bad considering I paid for a years subs when I got the unit in March 2007.

As a result I'm now running with the Novus Delta updates which as mentioned are free.

What I can't understand is how can Novus survive on just unit sales which is a one-off deal?

If I was convinced they were here to stay and accurate I too would get a Novus Alpha v3

I notice the Novus website is still under construction, and has been for just over a month now, how much longer I wonder?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
As I understand it, laser detectors are illegal in the UK.
They were illegal and then they legalised them a few years back on the rationale that they slowed people down and that had to be a good thing for reducing accidents.

So far as I'm aware they're still legal.

As others have said, jammers are illegal and will get you prosecuted for perverting the course of justice.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I have heard of some sophisticated kits though that will block a laser for 5 seconds and then allow it to lock on giving you plenty of time to break.
There are kits which jam the signal and sound an alarm. You then brake and when you're legal flick a switch which turns off the jamming leaving the police unsure whether or not it was jammed or a faulty lock. Such a kit would be better than a set timed one as the shorter the jam, the lesser the suspicion that it was jammed and just having difficulty getting a lock.

That said, you may get an inspection at home after such an incident so don't assume you just get away with it and if your vehicle is fitted with a device will get prosecuted in just the same way as I mentioned above.

The best option would be to have it removeable and remove it for some months after use, although that somewhat defeats the object. However, I'm not encourgaing anyone to do this as any use would clearly be illegal.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Does it matter whether jammers are illegal or not? Speeding's illegal in the first place. :D

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Thing about aser is that as soon as your pinged your done... its instantaneous so basically as oon as the detector fires up its too late. the best hpe you have is that it picks up scatter and gives the heads up.
True in part - I have escaped a laser trap by braking when I saw the vehicle.

I understand with laser the operator has to actually focus the laser on the number plate of the vehicle before taking a reading as they have to use a perfectly flat surface to obtain a reliable reading and so are not allowed to target the bonnet or other curverd front surfaces of the car. Consequently, if you see the van and brake before the operator has chance to target the number plate and fire, you will escape.

If you are ever caught therefore, and did brake, its worth asking the police to supply the photo / video showing your vehicle being targetted to check it was correctly done.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Does it matter whether jammers are illegal or not? Speeding's illegal in the first place. :D
Speedings all about making money not road safety, its reckless driving that causes accidents not pure speed.

Ever wondered why the cars on Police, Camera Action that have speeding accidents we're supposed to be learning from are always stolen and being driven by desperate criminals evading capture who'll do anything to escape? Because they don't have footage of pure speed causing accidents!

Its media fodder to those without the brains to think independantly about what they're seeing and to support the raising of taxes by fines.

Its reckless driving through dangerous and inappropriate overtaking in heavy traffic or small gaps, ignoring junctions, traffic lights or signals or recklessness through totally inappropriate use of speed eg. speed in heavy traffic or near schools coming out that causes accidents.

Accidents are not caused through the use of reasonable speeds in appropriate circumstances combined with sensible and careful driving.

After all how can 70mph be safe on a crowded motorway in the day, yet 90mph be unsafe on a totally deserted motorway at 1am with all 3 lanes empty?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Speedings all about making money not road safety, its reckless driving that causes accidents not pure speed.

Ever wondered why the cars on Police, Camera Action that have speeding accidents we're supposed to be learning from are always stolen and being driven by desperate criminals evading capture who'll do anything to escape? Because they don't have footage of pure speed causing accidents!

Its media fodder to those without the brains to think independantly about what they're seeing and to support the raising of taxes by fines.

Its reckless driving through dangerous and inappropriate overtaking in heavy traffic or small gaps, ignoring junctions, traffic lights or signals or recklessness through totally inappropriate use of speed eg. speed in heavy traffic or near schools coming out that causes accidents.

Accidents are not caused through the use of reasonable speeds in appropriate circumstances combined with sensible and careful driving.

After all how can 70mph be safe on a crowded motorway in the day, yet 90mph be unsafe on a totally deserted motorway at 1am with all 3 lanes empty?
I totally agree. If I'm honest, the only speed limits I actually pay any attention to are the ones in residential areas.
When it comes to dual carriage ways, motorways, backroads etc. I just use common sense.

It's just everyone seems so against jammers, because they're illegal. Yet they're still more than happy to excede the speed limit, which is also illegal.

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
That said, you may get an inspection at home after such an incident so don't assume you just get away with it and if your vehicle is fitted with a device will get prosecuted in just the same way as I mentioned above.
Police have the powers to seize any car suspected of being fitted with jamming equipment (basically if the laser gun fails a lock) at the road side and do!

A Laser Gun failing to lock is pretty rare and is generally the officer not sighting it correctly, any trained Traffic Officer can tell the difference between that and a jammer unit disrupting the unit.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I once read about an automatic garage door opener that you stick on the front of your car which just so happened to jam laser traps (whether by design or coincidence, I don't know).

As long as you had a valid reason to have it installed on the car (you actually parked the car in the garage) the police couldn't do anything.

Not sure whether it's still on the market or not though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
True in part - I have escaped a laser trap by braking when I saw the vehicle.

I understand with laser the operator has to actually focus the laser on the number plate of the vehicle before taking a reading as they have to use a perfectly flat surface to obtain a reliable reading and so are not allowed to target the bonnet or other curverd front surfaces of the car. Consequently, if you see the van and brake before the operator has chance to target the number plate and fire, you will escape.

If you are ever caught therefore, and did brake, its worth asking the police to supply the photo / video showing your vehicle being targetted to check it was correctly done.

Youll never get a photo for a laser detection,as far as im aware they don't have that facility!the legislation states 'a trained officer' and his/her word will be enough!

Can hit any part of the vehicle also!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Snooper 3 Zero

See pics
The 3zero is a low profile one and id say it does it intends to do is warn you well before. No config needed plug in and go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts