2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, iv **** out here. The wife has just been out to pick up some friends from town and she got pulled over for the headlights..... the HID kit is too bright for the car so having to take them off to keep them happy and pay the £30 fine !!!! offence code 319008 for illegal lights !!

keep an eye out for them on the sales forum, give it a couple of days for them to be removed !!! so p***ed off !!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

try and pay for the bill from the rozzers !!!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
How on earth are they too bright? What bulbs? I was led to believe the light housing is suitable for HIDs or standard lights. I wouldn't contest the fine as you probably won't get anywhere but dont be so quick to sell them. Without knowing the facts I'm guessing it's one police officers opinion.
I've been done for my bike lights being too bright till I went the effort of removing the bulb to show it was OEM.

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
how can they tell? arent police car lights over 6k?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a 6000k 55w HID kit what ALOT of people have on their civics!!! I wasn't there at the time but the wife took the fine and can't contest now even if I wanted to!! I wouldn't as I know about the headlight washers and auto levelling business with them but just annoying how they don't have anything better to do with their time !!!

selling them is the best thing, won't get pulled over and will pay for the fine I guess.

there ain't many people getting pulled over with them so just unlucky I guess !!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
how can they tell? arent police car lights over 6k?
not too sure, the wife said that they had a look at the ballasts and said that they couldn't support the cars watt'age so were too bright !!

said lots of other stuff to confuse her I guess aswell as she doesn't know a thing about them lol !!!

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Ah I see, I use to have a kit on mine too, but mine where 8k .

Maybe they were flickering and got their attention.

unlucky mate, I always counted myself as someone like you, everyone gets away with it but you always think your more than likely gonna get caught

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I think they were telling porkys. I see your point in getting rid of them. Sometimes the hassle isn't worth it. Shame though.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Exactly why the law states that they need auto levelling :facepalm:
Is that the fatal flaw of aftermarket kits? Having them as standard I've never looked at the functions but would assume they'd at least auto level! I didn't think they were illegal just yet.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Absolutely flawed
They have been illegal for years but only recently have they become a Fail in MOT tests and targetted by Police Forces.
TBH ...some of them are rediculous..8000K is asking for trouble
No more than 5000K and you may just get away with it...Until MOT time

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
I have always used them and to be honest the police have never pulled me over for the lights. I was stopped last thursday for a random check and they combed my car with a fine-tooth and no flaw was found. My strategy when stopped is to be polite and to always dress responsibly when I go for a drive.

P.S: I do know the HIDs are illegal and "could" be failed at my next MOT if I have leave them installed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did know that they were illegal without headlight washers and auto levelling, but the standard headlights just don't cut the mustard anymore. especially after my last car.

ah well. best play by the rules lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my two pence worth, I don't think the police do enough to crack down on these illegal lights including people who drive with fog lights , all I hear is they help you see better, well that's ok then as long as you can see because the car coming towards you at 30mph with kids in the back with the dazzled driver can't see anything including the bend in the road ahead, don't get me wrong I'm all up for modding but most people just do half a job and not give a damn about other peoples safety

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Just my two pence worth, I don't think the police do enough to crack down on these illegal lights including people who drive with fog lights , all I hear is they help you see better, well that's ok then as long as you can see because the car coming towards you at 30mph with kids in the back with the dazzled driver can't see anything including the bend in the road ahead, don't get me wrong I'm all up for modding but most people just do half a job and not give a damn about other peoples safety
The will be now... new MOT regs and Police guidelines... Gonna be seeing more people pulled over..

aidu88, could you not change just the bulbs to 35w? My mate has 55w on his EP3 and they are blindingly bright, and I can see why they attract attention.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
To be fair a lot of cars that have hid/xenon lights fitted as standard blind oncoming traffic and they have auto levelling

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Valid points. I really get sick of people going round with only fogs on, or poorly fitted HIDs. They can be fitted well so although illegal they don't have to be any more of a problem than my illegal number plates with a Honda logo on. :p

What will it mean for the trucking community though? Many of my trucks are like 44 ton Christmas trees.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.