2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have strange problem so maybe somebody had the same problem already:

My car was at LPG assembly (LPG itself should not be related). They performed cleaning of throttle body. Since that I'm facing following problem:

When I'm driving my drive idle is high (1400rpm) (when I park my car - idle goes normal). Idle is also bouncing little bit. It does not matter if I drive on petrol or LPG.

I've tried:
  • resetting ECU in honda service
  • idle learn procedure by myself
  • drive 5k kilometer and expected that ECU will make adaptation itself
But no success .. I've created also video for this problem:

Thank you for any hint.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
If the car is rolling on the road and you put neutral it holds it's revs slightly more than 1100 until car comes to a stop which then drops to the normal level of idle speed ( ~800rpm ).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that it that rolling idle should be higher than stop idle .. but my rolling idle is about 1400-1500 .. it is too much ... and it started after installing LPG and cleaning throttle body ..

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Doesn't matter what speed your doing, if your in Neutral and you are pedal free, you should be on either low or high idle based on engine coolant temp - period.

That is not normal fella, my first train of thought would be to look for an airleak between the MAF and the primary o2 sensor in the exhaust. So a split intake hose, a loose inlet manifold, split intake mani gasket, split breather hose, split exhaust somewhere etc,

Basically anything that causes an airleak and confuses the correlation between the MAF reading and the Air fuel ratio read by the Lambda probe.

Happy hunting.

EDIT,

It could also be a sensor fault, get the car plugged in and scan for stored codes - possibly a screwed TB too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for advice .. airleak is my biggest suspision because it has started after removing + cleaning throotle body + LPG installation ..

The car was already plugged in and no fault codes stored .. also check engile light is still inactive ..

I will put to my serviceman so let's see the result ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same ol' Coolant temp sensor being dry that has been happening with Hondas for years. Always check your coolant if your car starts idling funny (usually goes up and down). It's right at the top of the motor so needs full coolant in order to function properly.

David

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I have been there and done this and had the same problem, you need to disconnect the battery for around 15 minutes and reconnect. Once you have done this start the car and allow to idle for around 2 minutes (no revving) then rev at a constant 2000rpm for around a minute and it will be fine as the ECU will have relearned the new etting from the cleaner throttle body.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I've never had to do an idle relearn on any changes I have made to intake, TB or inlet manifold ever, but here is the Honda procedure

1. make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.

2. reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS. (Or unplug the battery for a few minutes)

3. turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.

4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).

5. let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have run into the similar behavior, on my 2007 Civic. Thank you for all the info put here, will try to resolve with coolant! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi.. did you find a solution to your problem since I have a 100 % similar problem and cannot find a solution..

Please help..

thank you

Philip

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes Xavier... if you have cleaned the Throttle body, the problem was solved by doing the re calibration of the TPS or throttle position sensor via the diagnostic tool (DTS). A lot of mechanics would have this tool nowadays.

Wish you luck

Philip

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes Xavier... if you have cleaned the Throttle body, the problem was solved by doing the re calibration of the TPS or throttle position sensor via the diagnostic tool (DTS). A lot of mechanics would have this tool nowadays.

Wish you luck

Philip
Yes, but I went to Honda to do a throttle clean and calibrate it after, but the car is now like yours was...
They dismount it twice to confirm it was real clean and to check all plugs and stuff...
But didn't work. it was the same...
I ask him if they did a TPS calibration and he answer me that he did only the idle calibration because he "couldn't do the TPS calibration" so he suspect that the eletric motor of the throttle body has a failure!!!
Thing is the car was normal when I left it, only thing is it sometime shows some fuel consumption when downhill and no throttle, so I suspected it had a dirty throttle...
It went to Honda and it came worst! Way worst!!

It's going back to Honda tomorrow so they properly fix this idle problem... :frown2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts