2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Hill start assist normally holds the brake on for a few seconds to make hill starts easier. I know on a transit, you press the brake pedal a little harder and a little picture appears on the dash of a van on a hill, when you release the brake peddle the brakes stay on for a few seconds so you can pull off without rolling backwards. Not sure if the new civic has it or not though

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking in the manual and there's mention at all of it. Nor coming home lights.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
All automatic and manual 9G should have it. It is of more benefit to those with manual cars as it can help with avoiding rollback on hill starts.
Automatics don't need it since you can use your left foot to hold the brake.

In a manual it is just bad, last thing we need is more clueless idiots on the road with things like this it means you don't have to "learn" it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Its great on very steep hills even though youre not a clueless idiot :rolleyes:
Weird choice of words.

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
We've got it on our automatic trans artic trucks (semis)

I've used it a couple of times just to see if it actually works. More hassle than doing it the proper way though !

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

In a manual it is just bad, last thing we need is more clueless idiots on the road with things like this it means you don't have to "learn" it.
Just to clarify,what I meant to say was that HSA is a standard feature on 9G auto and manual. Doesn't mean it needs it though. Once you have been driving manual for a while you should be quite capable of performing a hill start without assistance (or handbrake unless you are in a confined space (eg. tight parking spot on incline) or on a very steep hill)).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Cmon its a comfortable extra. As long as it doesnt break down or something.
I dont know if you have any actual streets on hills in Australia but over here theres quite a few, often at traffic lights. Its just a comfortable thing and imo nothing to complain about.
Keeps some stress off the transmission aswell.
Its one of the required skills atleast here in Sweden for your license to be able to start on a hill so we all know how.

Its not like they for example removed the handbrake and replaced with electronic button like on other brands.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Once you have been driving manual for a while you should be quite capable of performing a hill start without assistance.
Well, I can drive a car without VSA or even ABS but that does not mean I don't want them just for comfort (and safety in some cases). Same with HSA. It's a nice feature. They should have made it possible to turn it off if you don't want it, though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Oh no he didn't :worms:[smilie=spank.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Nice feature, but as others have said, if you are an experienced driver, it just gets in the way a bit.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Its not like they for example removed the handbrake and replaced with electronic button like on other brands.
oh I hate that! Feels so un-safe

·
Administrator
21,236 Posts
I just use the handbrake for hill starts, works a treat :)

Also avoids the people behind having to suffer a minute or 2 of red LED blinding :D

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts

So technology use is now classified as being an idiot? Fascinating...:rolleyes: I wonder what we would class the following under:

1. Keyless entry (waste of time)
2. Auto start (More waste of time)
3. Civics with the red start button (oops...confusion time)
4. Rear view camera to reverse and the sensors (pointless)
5. Ford reveres parking assists (time wasters).

To be honest these features just make life easier not clueless idiots either on the road or anywhere else. :cool:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Also avoids the people behind having to suffer a minute or 2 of red LED blinding :D
Followed up by rolling back 5 inches when they pull off, if you cant operate a clutch properly use the handbrake like everyone else.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I don't know how it is implemented in the Civic but VW have implemented it quite well in their cars from a holding point of view, the only downside being it comes off with a real jerk so I wonder how long the mechanism will last.

Anyway, this is how it works in VW's.

You come to a stop and press the brake whilst stationary (if you don't come to a complete stop and then take your feet off the pedals expecting it to hold, then you'll roll backwards). Once you've been stationary and on the brake you can literally take your feet off the pedals no matter how steep the hill and it will hold on its own.

When you want to set off you simply press the accelerator there's a pause in response from the vehicle setting off and you can hear the power building in the engine as the throttle opens, then when the engine has reached a certain rev / power point the brake releases with a clunk and the vehicle sets off.

It actually works very well the only downsides are its possible to roll to nearly a stop and get caught out because it isn't engaged as you never fully became stationary and so you're expecting it to be engaged because you're used to it being on, but when you take your feet off the pedals, you roll backwards. You really have to ensure the vehicle is completely stationary 1st.

Secondly, there is a real clunk and jerk as it releases on a steep hill making me question the longevity of the mechanism.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts