2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Firstly, I have to apologise for my lack of knowledge when it comes to diagnosing faults with cars. It may be strikingly obvious to you guys what is actually wrong, but here goes - car is a 57 2.2 iCDTI:

Last Wednesday, I was driving home a different route when a hit a blind pothole filled with water. Hit it about 25-30mph - whole car shock, phone flew out of my dash holder hitting the roof... shook my bones!

I then pulled over about 300 metres up the road to find this damage: http://i.imgur.com/Umo682r.jpg - I noticed my steering was shaking quite drammitcally at slow speeds, and lack of air pressure. As luck would have it, my MOT was on the following day. I then dropped my car to the garage who then knocked the visible dent on the wheel back in.. at this point it looked like a nasty curd scrape.

Thankfully the car passed the MOT with the standard tyre advisory, but also with the following: offside front Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a) - however, when I drive it now I still notice the shaking of the steering wheel and slight pull towards the left. Also, when I go over speed bumps, it does make a metallic sound, 1 in every 5 times I'd say. Air pressure is slowly dropping also - topped it up to 34PSI yesterday evening and it looks well below that this morning.

My question(s) to you all is: what do I do next? What wheel type do I have? - tried to search the wiki but couldn't find conclusive answer.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the full length story!
Jake

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

That must have been a deep pot hole!

You maybe able to get your wheel repaired or simply buy a replacement. The tyre may also need replacing. Either or both are causing your steering to wobble and psi to drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to :civinfo:

That must have been a deep pot hole!

You maybe able to get your wheel repaired or simply buy a replacement. The tyre may also need replacing. Either or both are causing your steering to wobble and psi to drop.
Thanks Farqui for your prompt response. The pothole was indeed quite deep, in OP there is a link to a previous report from a cyclist of the exact pot hole - this was from November last year and it has no doubt got deeper since then.

I've reported this to the local council also which hopefully should cover the cost - because the pothole was already reported, it *should* be sorted.

Does anyone know what type of wheel style I have? I haven't seen many Civic's around with my wheel type?

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's for a set, search around as they come up as singles too.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Thanks again :) - do you think anything else could have been damaged during the hit? I know it's hard to say, but is there anything I should look out for?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Suspension components and bearing would be worth checking.

Also, you should get onto the council to pay for the repairs, as it's entirely their responsibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suspension components and bearing would be worth checking.

Also, you should get onto the council to pay for the repairs, as it's entirely their responsibility.
Thanks anthropolyte - I'll ask my local garage to take a look for me I think.

I've reported it to the local Council who are looking into it - thankfully it has been reported before (first link in OP).. this should help the process. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
If your car passed the MOT then the bushes, spring, etc should all have been checked. So it should be safe to drive.

You may have given the shock top mount a big hit, they are known to wear and knock. Check all the top fixings are secure.

Or is could be that the drop link is starting to wear?

Have some thoroughly check the spring, it could have cracked or even broken a coil off.

Start with those and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your car passed the MOT then the bushes, spring, etc should all have been checked. So it should be safe to drive.

You may have given the shock top mount a big hit, they are known to wear and knock. Check all the top fixings are secure.

Or is could be that the drop link is starting to wear?

Have some thoroughly check the spring, it could have cracked or even broken a coil off.

Start with those and let us know how you get on.
I'll look into those things - thanks again.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
As well as sorting the wheels make sure you complain to the council.

We had this a few years ago and bent 2 wheel and bulged the tyres, we took the car to Honda to inspect the wheels and quote for another set.

My other half then got the maintenence history on the road and sent all the details of to the council and they covered the costs.

This only works if the road has not been maintained and inspected properly.

Rich

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
^
Make a complaint. Go and photograph the pothole with a ruler for depth as evidence. Before they fill it in.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
get the tracking checked ,would of thought with the thud you described it's probably knocked it out slightly.. should be able to claim off the council for all the repairs..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts