2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into the HKS induction for the civic, cheap it is not, but sound is great. Looking over the kit, now I don't know the ins and outs of induction etc. But correct me if I'm wrong, how is the cold air supplied through this induction kit, because when I look at this kit, its is placed at the rear of the engine with a heat shield, how does the shield stop warm air being supplied through the cone, surely this will suck all the warm air that the engine generates. What stops it sucking warm air into it with no cold air feed to the cone? Do you supply a cold air feed to the cone part?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think only fully enclosed induction kits like the BMC CDA airbox thing will offer any sort of proper shielding or cool air feed.

Anything just in the bay even with a heatshield will suffer heat soak and any cold feed pipes are worthless since there will be flow once the car is on the move.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a hks rsk sitting in my garage, I have switched between standard and the hks many times. I did have a cold air feed from the front bumper to the cone but put it back to standard.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically then its a fair lay out off money for just the sound. Is their any positives than just the sound transformation. Is it an upgrade from the standard box?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a hks rsk sitting in my garage, I have switched between standard and the hks many times. I did have a cold air feed from the front bumper to the cone but put it back to standard.
Why did you keep swaping out?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Why did you keep swaping out?
Because I miss the sound. But it's abit annoying if your flooring it from low revs because it's all noise and no go. But it's a great bit of kit, give it a few weeks and it will be back on again. It sounds better in person than in YouTube videos but I find its may feel more powerful at the top of the rev range but really it's just for noise I think.

This was mine with the hks and a cold air feed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The induction sucking sound is quite good but it sounds very similar in all cars. I've tested cone Vs regular panels in other cars. There's essentially zero real world difference in power or MPG, just sound.

HKS uses foam no? That doesn't need oiling? Some talk of oiled cones killing MAFs but even that isn't really confirmed. I remember stainless steel cones a few years back, they'd sound good but I wouldn't use one as it'll let dirty crud into your engine!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they do sound awsome, guess they drone at low revs though. You get better mpg than I do lol. Mines 22-24mpg or even low as 21mpg. Thought you was looking at selling it then.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The sound of VTEC with an induction kit sounds like no other, it's pretty brutal, videos don't do it justice at all.

My mpg normally sits around 21mpg, I must have reset it before I went out for a drive in that video.

I'm so indecisive about selling it because I must have swapped it out around 10 times lol, only takes about 10 minutes for me now.

On light throttle it's very quiet just a very slight sucking sound, but more than half throttle it does get noiser, but in VTEC all hell lets loose.

This is a good demo video.

·
Super Moderator
2,901 Posts
if you are undecided about CAI then get an HKS panel filter, same material as RSK but in a drop in filter and only costs £35 or so.
can be washed out when it gets dirty too.

·
Registered
455 Posts

That's mine, the cold air intake connected to the standard intake pipe like the Tegiwa ones do, I had to hack my original resonator to make it. I'll let you know if I decide to sell.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that sounds just right up my street, nice and quiet on low revs then all hell breaks loose on vtec. Little bit off saving and thats in my engine. Did you leave the resonator box in to keep swapping it in and out. Sounds like a good idea being able to do that, swapping in and out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The resonator box needs the bumper to be removed so my resonator box is in now, so just swap the hks over.
So the resonater dosent have to be removed or is even in the way because im fed up with removing that bloody bumper, I just have to do it one more time for the front badge.

·
Registered
455 Posts
To remove the airbox and fit the hks the bumper doesn't have to come off, but if you want to add a cold air feed it will need coming off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the lower grill? That was the cold air feed I put in, not fitted anymore.
Yeah, looks like a 10mm pipe/tube sticking out, anyway it sounds nice with the kit and being able to swap in and out appeals to me. You havent encounted any issue with heatsoak and loss in power.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts