2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have had a full service in December and they refilled with 3.6L of engine oil. I had checked immediately and the oil on the dipstick was just over half way and in-between the two circles. I drove a few hundred and checked again and it was at the same point. Now I've driven my car a further few hundred miles and I have been driving the car a little harder such as red lining in first gear at cold start etc (I understand this could be problematic).

And I just checked my dipstick and now the oil level is above max dot on the dipstick. Could this be oil dilution?

I don't really know what engine oil smells like, but from what I smelt on the paper towel it smelt like a typical petrol station.

Could this be due to my change in driving style and driving hard at cold starts? Or is it due to the fact I do very short journeys everyday. Could I possibly change this if I were to do longer commutes or by letting the engine warm up before driving?? Mileage is only 77k

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
If it smells strongly of petrol then change the oil immediately.

Is it the iDSi engine in your car? 8 spark plugs? I'm wondering if it's needing a set. The rear ones tend to get forgotten about. Either that or its got a leaky injector.

Reactions: Rocky833

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it smells strongly of petrol then change the oil immediately.

Is it the iDSi engine in your car? 8 spark plugs? I'm wondering if it's needing a set. The rear ones tend to get forgotten about. Either that or its got a leaky injector.
No, the engine is the 1.4 I-vtec which only has 4 on the back. I have been meaning to get the plugs changed as the car does have a slight rough idle where it falls and catches itself or just bounces up and down ever so slightly at cold. Figured if I get the plugs changed it would let me narrow down on what the cause of the rough idle is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts