2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

I got my car serviced for a wapping amount including new brake pads/new brake disc. And they advised that 5w40 is recommended for my 2006 honda accord 2006 ctdi engine. Is this what should be used, would it do any harm to the engine long run? As i thought normally 0W30 is used.
Has anyone got their brake disc replaced after 100,00 miles?

Any suggestions.

thanks
Kin

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
+1 for 0w30

Go back and get them to change it.

As for the brakes, is that 100,000 miles or 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to the dealer and they said i would be charged if i want to change to ow30. They also said 5W40 is also used in these vehicles and will not do any harm in guidlelines with the user manual. Oh well!

As to previous question my car has done 100,000 miles.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I bought mine when it had 95k miles. All 4 discs needed changing at 115k miles I think. Not sure how many times they were changed before I had it though.

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
If they are a Honda dealer they should be using 0w30 as that is what Honda strongly recommends. Sound like a shoddy bunch.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Take it up with Honda UK?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call honda uk
Called Honda UK. And they took it up with the garage and got a reply "Although 0W30 is recommended, 5W40 can also be used in the Honda accord CTDI as standard and as written in the Honda Accord Manual, so therefore the case is closed"

·
Registered
8 Posts
The manual says it is "highly recommended" you use 0W 30.

This is not the stuff of Japanese quality circles.

This is lousy, third rate, UK customer service.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I believe that Honda changed their mind about the type of oil to be used in the 2.2 i-CTDI.

The 0W30 was the 1st choice because it's better for the fuel economy ... the issue is that the engine burns some oil as well (more with the 0W30 than it does with the 5W40) and there were some cases of broken engine because of lack of oil.

So, I believe that they now push the 5W40 as a "safe choice" even if it's not the best for the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I notice you're in Switzerland, and you need to bear in mind the oil recommendations will vary from country to country depending local climatic conditions.. although I expect Switzerland has a colder climate than the UK so not sure on the logic behind a 5W recommendation..

·
Registered
827 Posts
I notice you're in Switzerland, and you need to bear in mind the oil recommendations will vary from country to country depending local climatic conditions.. although I expect Switzerland has a colder climate than the UK so not sure on the logic behind a 5W recommendation..
I agree but 5W is good enough for temperatures down to -30°C ... so I believe that it should be fine for both UK and Switzerland ;)

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Thinner oil will be a bit more noisier and as said your engine will more than likely burn it to as its so thin. Therefore a very regular oil check would be needed to unsure its topped up.
My Astra running at 200bhp & pushing out over 320nm of torque used 5w40 fully synthectic & didn't burn a drop.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thinner oil will be a bit more noisier and as said your engine will more than likely burn it to as its so thin. Therefore a very regular oil check would be needed to unsure its topped up.
My Astra running at 200bhp & pushing out over 320nm of torque used 5w40 fully synthectic & didn't burn a drop.
Do you have a DPF on your Astra?

If it does then it's more likely that the amount of oil that the engine burns is compensated by the fuel dilution during DPF regeneration :rolleyes:

I had to add ~1L of oil between each service interval on my 2005 i-CTDI CR-V (without DPF) ... on my 2009 (with DPF) the oil level keeps going over the max because of fuel dilution :(

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
No the 3door did not have the DPF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts