2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased some type R accord twin pot calipers.

I am going to change them instead of my normal diesel calipers on my civic 2.2 ES.

I have got the carriers with them and I just hope they fit. If not I have type R calipers with carriers and are going to fit them instaed.

I will let you all know if they fit.

I have also got the 300mm discs that will fit.

Any ideas of what pads to go for??

Red stuff or Ferrodos??

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recieved my type R calipers and carriers today.

The pistons were siezed so it took a long time to get them out.

Eventually though I got the 42mm piston and 38mm (Ithink they are sizes) out and I just need to get the caliper and carriers shot blasted ready for painting.

The carrier has the same linear pitch as the type R (FN2) one so it will fit the hub.

The discs are bigger on the accord type R compared to the FN2 pads.

Also the disc on the accord type R is 300mm diameter and 47mm high and 28 mm thivk compared to the FN2 disc which is 300mm dia, 48mm high and 25mm thick.

The splash guard needs a bit of cutting or bending to accomadate the carrier and caliper.

I will now clean up the pistons and then purchase a seal kit, new pads and disacs.

I will keep you all posted.

Over and out.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Subscribed :) and good luck bud

EDIT i assume the threads for the hoses match and the hoses are long enough or are you using Accord items

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Sounds like a good project mate, any pics of your progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just come in from looking at the type R accord setup with the calipers.

Going from the front face of the hub where the carrier sits, the carrier is 14.5mm thick. Therefore there is hardly any clearance between the disc and carrier as the accord disc is 28mm thick compared to my 2.2 pad which is 23mm thick.

I will have a look in the week at this as I have the type R hubs with splash guard which I will also be fitting to my diesel as the Type R splash guard is more suited than the type S guard.

It will be very tight clearance wise.

I want to work this out before I purchase pads and discs that will accomadate the type R accord calipers.

Anyone got a used accord type R disc I can experiment with.

If the clearance issue is ok then I can twest the braking potential.

May be on to a must do mod for mapped diesel and type R fans!!

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just take the splash guards off you can remove them without taking the hub off .

How Coste how?

The flange with the wheel bolts wont come off with out breaking the bearing??

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update on the honda accord type R calipers:

I have modified the splash guards on the type R hubs so that the accord carrier fits. I did this as the hub is off the car by putting the carrier in line with the holes and then tracing an outline around the carrier on the splash guard. I then straightened up the lines and cut them with hacksaw and then deburred the edges.

The disc was then put on the hub and tightened down using the two countersunk phillips head screws.

The carrier was then bolted down with the two carrier bolts. I had a type R disc which is 25mm thick in which the the accord disc is 28mm thick. Therefore I worked out that I need 1.5 mm extra added to the rear side of the disc (28 -25 = 3\2 = 1.5mm each side of disc). I therefore put a feeler gauge of 1.6mm inbetween the carrier cross bar and disc which there is clearance.

I was worried about the clearance but it will clear. I am now going to get my accord callipers and carriers grit blasted today and then paint them red, purchase a new seal kit and then refurbish the calliper pistons.

I will post photos and when I am putting them on.

I am happy that they fit.:cool:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey this is a very interesting thread.

I've done a write up on TypeAccord on refurbing the ATR calipers which might have helped but it sounds like you've got there in the end. Big Red do a decent seal kit for this caliper (don't forget to change the internal square cut seals too).

Are you putting the same pistons back in or using new ones?

I've probably got a set of Accord 300mm discs somewhere if you need to borrow some for testing..

Get some pics up if you can bud, this will be a popular mod if it works. It's very popular on the 7th Gen Accord's as it's a straight fit.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi F6Had

Now I seen your post. I have bought the seal kit from big red that contains all the seals. I have grit blasted the callipers and carriers and have cleaned the original pistons, primed the carriers and calipers with RS grey primer (aerosol) and have bought hammerite red smooth aerosol paint to paint them red. I purchased type R hubs from ebay and modified the splash guards to fit the carriers and calipers. I just hope there is enough clearance between the wheel and carrier. There is clearance on the carrier to disc on inside of wheel.

Thanks for your thread, that is what inspired me to do the conversion.

I will let you know what the final result is.

Cheers

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I painted the calipers and carriers red today after giving them a coat of RS grey primer. I used 2 cans of hammerite smooth red aerosol. I gave them 1 coat of primer along with 3 coats of hammerite.

I also took a wheel off and then put the type r disc on the type r hub. I then bolted the carrier to the hub and then placed the hub into the wheel and spun it. No problems thus far. I should have bolted the caliper to the carrier but I could not as the caliper was wet. I will try it tomorrow to see if there is clearance.

Looking good so far though.

I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have finish painted the calipers and carriers and have cleaned up the pistons. I have tried to fit the seals tonight and I am well p***** off as I have been trying for 3 hours to fit the seals and put the pistons in the four outer seals have split!!!! I am not happy!!

:(

I have not applied much pressure to the piston when pushing them in and I am quite disappointed really. Is there a correct way of fit the seals as I have put the seals into the groove, lubricated the inner piston seal and piston and then applied pressure forcing the piston inwards to where all four outer seals (42mm) and (38mm) have split????

The other way I tried was to push the piston in and push the outer seal over the piston into the top groove, but it is impossible for the seal to fit into the groove???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are some pics so far

Attachments

1 - 20 of 107 Posts