2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I picked up the new refreshed Honda Civic SE+ last night.

Having a few issues with new touch screen and the Honda app store.

I have an iPhone 6 and for what I see so far both play well together. Even if one is IOS and Android.

However, the Honda app store needs to be update before I can use it. So I pair my phone to he WiFi and connect to NET and the update the app and it starts to download okay and then it attempts to install and I get "security your device is set to block installation of applications not obtained from android market"

Looking on the NET you can allow untrusted apps. This has been ticked but the I still get the message "security your device is set to block installation of applications not obtained from android market"

Any ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
What is the complete name of the Honda app?

HondaLink? ...

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan

I don't know off hands. Its built in.

Why do you think that's important? Its just being blocked from installing. So there must be an issue on the security.

Mike

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,422 Posts
The issue now is that this is brand new technology so I doubt anyone here will know for sure just yet which is a shame.

I think you are our guinea pig on this and when and if you get it sorted let us know.

I know on an Android device that non market warning/block is for installing .apk applications.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I would guess Honda would limit/block standard Android Apps being installed because the would be scared of litigation.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,422 Posts
Thanks bog

After I posted I realised I hadn't asked whether these were Honda apps or normal Play Store apps :oops:

Surely the manual must give a proviso?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Thanks bog

After I posted I realised I hadn't asked whether these were Honda apps or normal Play Store apps :oops:

Surely the manual must give a proviso?
I'm only guessing, but you know how scared they are of being sued.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,422 Posts
Yes, plus the unit is Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 so some newer apps may not work anyway.

Which could be the issue here, wonder what app it was?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had this. Adjusted the 'untrusted apps' setting and had to redownload the update.

The other thing I found was it won't play music from a flash drive formatted in NTFS so make sure any flash drive is FAT32 before you load it with music.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, plus the unit is Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 so some newer apps may not work anyway.

Which could be the issue here, wonder what app it was?
If an app is for newer version of Android this is specified in the apk via API level and you won't have option to install such an app.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,422 Posts
I had this. Adjusted the 'untrusted apps' setting and had to redownload the update.

The other thing I found was it won't play music from a flash drive formatted in NTFS so make sure any flash drive is FAT32 before you load it with music.
I think FAT or FAT32 has been the requirement since introduced. That's why they play in the order they were loaded.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pesky36, You shouldnt have had to carry out the Honda App Center update, Your dealer is supposed to have done it as part of the PDI.

Any way, If you are still struggling, you need to make sure that in Settings/Android/security/unknown sources is ticked, as per this attached screen shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd73vrszbuqh6s9/21.JPG?dl=0

Once that is ticked then you will need to download the update again by opening up the Honda App Center icon again.

Your Aha app will also require update as well, this can be done from in the Honda App Center / My Apps.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Anyone tried connecting there my 15 civic to there home boardband as I read somewhere if it's open it can connect or tried contacting there phone to home bb then share with car? as I don't get much data until I redo my contract . How many apps is the for us to download in the Honda store ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has any body got any useful info on app downloads or adding .apk apps through usb?

My car is connected to wifi but the Honda App Store has pretty much nothing. When I attempt to 'app install' it just says no .apk files on the usb (none connected).

I expected there would be some useful apps/features.

The manual suggests Facebook is available through 'aha' but I can't find it.

So far I've found nothing useful on the 'Honda connect' on a 2015 civic.

Am I being dumb?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
So Steve, when are there going to be more apps? Honda made a big song and dance about Android units and yet, still no new apps?

Or will you admit, it's unlikely that there will be any for this generation of Honda Connect?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I expect there will be some apps eventually. I doubt there will be many and most likely will be heavily car or audio focused. I wouldn't expect movie players and Facebook and things like that (or if there is they will only work when car is stationary). But there might be things like trip logging, fuel logging, alternative audio players etc.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,422 Posts
They need to sort out it's functionality before working on apps:

Navigation highlights to iMid - ala 2013 unit
Option to mute all speakers when nav instructions are issued - ala 2013 unit
Fix rear camera disappearing gridlines issue
Upgrade Garmin to use it's digital traffic service
Allow Garmin to install safety cameras like the standalone units
Upgrade to a newer Android version from ICS

For the above reasons I won't be buying a MY16 so Honda have lost a sale next March but gained a MOT and 1 year Honda Assistance sale.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I agree they need to fix the above issues. However, I am hoping third parties will be writing the apps. The unit itself was designed and made by http://www.fujitsu-ten.com (Honda told me this) . I very much doubt the effort to make an app store would have been spent if there was to be no intention to get some apps in there. I am currently investigating what is needed to publish apps to the app store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would be nice if you could mirror your iPhone navigation app to the Honda connect like the U.S models. Disappointed that you cannot do this. Looks like web browsing could turn out to be expensive if you're using your phone as a hotspot!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts