2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys. Civic info has always been a great help to me when ive been in need of a few answers and now i have another problem with my Honda Civic 09/58 1.8 i-Vtec ES . there is a weird whining noise from under the bonnet towards the left of the engine. it usually sounds when i start on cold and even when i rev i can hear the noise going up with the revs if you know what i mean. my car suffered a dead battery a few weeks back and when green flag started the car up, the noise was there. the technician said it might be the fan belt?. i really don't know what it might be. please please watch the video i have attached and let me know what you think it might be.
Honda want to charge me £ 70 just for them to look at it :/... Much appreciated thanks :)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Pcr valve? Squeeze the rubber tube behind the rocker cover, running from the valve. No need to dissasemble anytbin.

Air con clutch? Is the little triangle spinning at the bottom of the pulleys?

Squeaky belt or pulley?

Hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the prompt reply. i will have a look. i don't think its the ac clutch as the aircon was not on for it to operate. i was also thinking either the idler pulley or the belt. do you think it could be the timing chain? . its only done 48000 miles and has a full Chiswick Honda service history :/ thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
it should be a pulley or the belt, cause if it was the chain, the noise was more a knocking, also it won't run right...
the timing chain have a auto tensioner, and some plastic guidelines... the weak part here should be the plastic guidelines that could break, but has i said, the noise should be a knocking, not a whining...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Been a while and have been living with this problem now.

During the 2015 service, Honda told me nothing is wrong and it could be the exhaust flaps? i was like huh?!!!

In 2016 they told me that they found the ac compressor is worn and leaking and is causing the noise. They want £1200 for the whole kit! i cant afford.

The air con has not been blowing that cold these days.

This noise only lasts about a minute or two in the summer time until the engine warms up. When i lightly rev the engine, i can hear the noise changing with the RPM, the pitch slightly increases.

Any advice guys?

Cheers much appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts