·
Boooooooooooooooooooooom
278 Posts
Honda Civic 1.8 GearBox Oil Change How To

Hi

This is a basic How To for people wanting to change gearbox oil on 1.8/ Petrol

The Gearbox should hold around 1.6 litres I bought 2 litres for £16.80

from Honda

1. Drive vehicle down the road to get the gearbox oil warm but not to hot so a couple of miles should be more then enough.
2. Remove under tray (Bit of a fiddle not too bad on a ramp though).
3. Remove Drain Plug D as shown on the Picture to allow the Gearbox oil to drain.

4.Once drained tighten up plug D to a Torque of 39NM Honda recommend a new washer I didn’t install a new washer and all is well but I just though I would mention what Honda recommend.
5. Remove Drain plug A and pour in gearbox oil slowly I used an “Oil or fluid syringe” I already had one at work but they are only about £8 on eBay well worth having. Pour in all of the Gearbox oil and leave for a couple of minutes to allow the excess to overflow back out. Once completed Install Plug A with a new washer to a Torque of 44NM.

Equipment

-2 Litres Gearbox Oil
-2 Washers
-10mm Socket
-3/4 Ratchet for both Drain plugs very
-Cloth to remove excess oil
-Syringe Ideally

Many Thanks

This is my first How To so I hope it is ok for people

·
Boooooooooooooooooooooom
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Mechanic from Honda said they are very similar for 1.8 and 2.0 might be worth a phone call to check with them.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
good job mate, i need this doing this year and have been calling Honda and they keep offering silly prices so might get my local garage to do it or DIY myself if possible although i only have a car jack

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I though the refill hole is on top of the gearbox and Bolt 'A' is the level indicator?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I though the refill hole is on top of the gearbox and Bolt 'A' is the level indicator?
Thread revival!! A couple of people have said this but to be fair ed china always fills through the level indicator. Dont really see why you would need to fill through the top of the gear box if you have an oil syringe.

Is this a straight forward job on the FN2?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Has anyone found an easier way to get access to the fill and drain plug other than taking the under tray off.

Just spent 30mins under the car battling with the bloody thing and ended up putting it all back together because its starting to get dark!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way

OK, so through necessity due to the lack of a ramp or sufficient lifting gear to get the car off the ground I managed to find a way through.

Jack up the front passenger side and support with an axle stand or suitable device.

Remove the front wheel and store securely - you don't want to be chasing it down the road, those things are fast when they get going.

Undo about half a dozen or so (total) of the popper clips around the front where the under-tray joins the bumper and clips into the wheel arch. Be prepared, these things break easy so have some spares ready either from honda or another source.

Undo two screws, the first joining the under-tray to the bumper and the second fixing the under-tray to the body about 4ft under the car, just passed the engine.

Carefully unlock the under-tray from the wheel arch, there is a tab that locks in just inside the wheel arch area, it will become apparent.

The tray is flexible, carefully unslot the tray from the bumper so that the tray sits below the bumper fixing and not above, you only need to do this from about halfway across the bumper on the side you are working.

Working from the wheel arch area carefully flex the tray downwards to give enough access to the gearbox drain and fill plug. Make sure it is not still attached or catching anything, this needs to be a gentle process - not brute force! Use a weight such as a brick to hold it down and stop if from keep popping up.

You should now be able to get access to the bits you need. You can rest a container on the tray to catch the old oil as it drains out. Remember there are approx 1.6 litres so it soon fills a small container and may need to be emptied in stages. Once done refit drain plug securely.

To refill use a syringe as mentioned or better still a long'ish pipe with a funnel. Feed the pipe into the fill level hole. Carefully and slowly pour the new MTF into the funnel allowing time for it to flow. The height difference is not that great on the last 300mm so be patient. When full (or flowing back out of hole) refit fill plug and mop any mess.

I bought the syringe and tried to pump the new fluid back in to the gearbox but that failed, the vacuum was not sufficient to hold the fluid whilst trying to then get the pipe into the hole each time - the funnel method and a bit of patience was much better.

Hope this helps someone.

·
i-Vtec
5,387 Posts
Might I suggest that its always a good idea to remove the re-fill plug first, before removing the drain plug, just in case the bolt I seized or breaks.

And secondly will the fill level overflow when it gets above 1.6lt, if you know what I mean. I will do this but don't have means of refill other then trying a pipe and a funnel from above.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.