2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a Honda Civic type S on a 2010 plate with a years Honda warranty, have took it back twice as the petrol cap will not lock, have been told that's how it is, why have a lever release button in the car, erm they also said old car, if that being the case then Honda garage shouldn't be selling if they don't want to sort out the problem, any help that I could take back to them as they made us feel stupid wanting it fixed.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
My ctr type r on a 09 locks as yours should ' if not ask your dealer for a sign that says free very expensive petrol help yourself ! And give him the bill !

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had to tweak the metal spring inside the fuel cap to get it to position where it would lock.
I went too far once and it would lock but then not open again.

Before you could just pull the fuel flap open.......

Takes a few goes. :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
1,283 Posts
You could tell the dealer that you will get it fixed by someone else and send him the bill followed by a county court claim if he doesn't pay.

Not the sort of "Customer Service" you should expect from a main dealer.
Complain to Honda UK if you get no joy.

·
i-Vtec
2,567 Posts
Its an MOT failure if the locking mechanism on the fuel cap doesn't work. Or at least it used to be. IIRC for the MOT The flap should lock, or the actual petrol cap.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
I had a problem with my fn2 fuel flap. The metal tab gets the wrong side of the release pin, mine would not open. I wedged the pull lever open with a chewing gum tub so I could go to the flap and pull it open by hand. I bent the tab to correct it and never had the problem again.

·
4,233 Posts
Rather than promulgate possiblt urban muyths, I did a bit of research, and here's the MoT stuff about it.
However The Manual here just says "i. leaking, or missing or ineffective filler cap Major". Nothing about locking.
So do you, or don't you. Clear as mud.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
"have been told that's how it is.............old car", not the sort of response you would expect. My Type S is an '07 approaching 100k and I've never had a problem with the fuel flap in over seven years of ownership.

·
4,233 Posts
Well, I wonder how my 10G will get on at MoT as it doesn't have a lockable petrol cap. In fact it doesn't have a petrol cap at all, just the flap that locks with the car and does absolutely nothing to keep the petrol from spilling.

The wife's Jazz does not have a lockable pertrol cap either, just the flap with a pull 'button' inside the car.

The MoT stuff that I linked to above seems to max on leakage rather than security.

Gurus please clarify.>:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts