2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum and I don't know a great deal about cars so please bear with me!

So I get in my car this morning, put the key in, press down on the brake and it seems a little stiff. Hmm. Press the start button and nothing. Next I hear the dreaded 'ping' and get a notification "PGM-Fi- check system".

Gave it a couple more attempts, taking the key out completely and trying again, and still nothing.

Any ideas what it might be white we go off to the mechanic please? Don't really like going in blind being a woman. Feel like they try and rip me off.

It's 0 degrees C outside, wondering if the cold might be playing a part in it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rac

So I've got the good old RAC coming out to have a look. Will keep this updated as the outcome might be helpful to others.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
found this, might help -

seems it is a relay problem relating to fuel pump = no start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, thank you for the advice! Car is 1799cc, with i-Shift.

When I got to the garage after RAC had been, I lost all gears completely, the car was stuck in neutral!

Garage were unable to sort the problem, he said that the no start issue and gear selection issue appear to be linked, you can hear the relay when you press the ignition button but it isn't doing anything.

Coupled with other issues I have with the car (slow gear change, windscreen wipers stopping wherever they please and flickering headlights), the car is going to a Honda dealer tomorrow.

This is my second Honda Civic, first one was written off last year when someone drove straight into the side of me. Starting to wonder if these are signs that I shouldn't have a civic...

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Oh dear, sorry to hear that your car is no longer behaving.

So many electrical issues and the Civic's somewhat delicate ECU's, suggest that it could just be your battery and/or alternator are fault/tired?

Did the garage test your battery?

What year is your car and do you know if it is the original battery?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Hi. Sorry to hear you have an issue with your Civic. Where do you live exactly? I could offer a full diagnostic and repair to your I-shift system should it be the problem. And I bet it is a gear actuator issue! Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. Sorry to hear you have an issue with your Civic. Where do you live exactly? I could offer a full diagnostic and repair to your I-shift system should it be the problem. And I bet it is a gear actuator issue! Regards
You're absolutely right, it's the I-shift actuator. The car went back to Honda and they're now sending the actuator to be repaired because to replace t would apparently be nearly £2k!!!

But it doesn't end there, as they've said that could either fix the issue or they could then find there's further problems with the clutch.

I'm really grateful for your offer, had I seen this before she went to Honda I would have definitely taken you up on it ( obviously dependant on location though...I'm in Bedfordshire just FYI).

Oh, and as for pricing should anyone else have this same issue, my local Honda dealership are charging me £360 for the repair of the actuator, £225 in labour to remove and refit the actuator, and a further £57 for a diagnostics check. It's disgusting how they can charge so much!!

They've also quoted me £360 to do rear brake pads and discs, £235 to do front brake PADS ONLY, and £115 for a tyre!

Again, thanks everyone for replying and I'll keep you all updated.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Glad to hear you will get your car sorted! Ask them if they also do the gear actuators as they should. All three suffer from same issues and should be done at the same time.
Did I get this right? It's £360+£225+£57=£642 just for the actuator repair done??? Steal...
Good luck with results and keep us updated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts