2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post here. My 2010 Civic has 50k miles on it now and it's getting old so I figured I'd do some DIY work. Of course I messed up, so here I am!

I tried doing some valve adjustments but now the normal honda engine sound is audible even when accelerating. As far as I can remember, the usual ticking sound would disappear when driving or it'd quieten down when warm and idling. Now it's always making this loud ticking noise.

Link for sound: CANT POST; PLEASE GOOGLE/YOUTUBE SEARCH "Honda Civic 8th gen R18A2 1.8 engine ticking noise after valve adjustment" by user: sab188

The ticking gets louder and faster as I rev the car and I can hear the noise through the dash when the windows are closed. I did the valve adjustments TWICE (both times on a cold engine, or at least below 32C, after waiting 5 hours). Intakes 0.20mm, exhausts 0.25mm. First time around, the exhaust valves were really tight and the intakes were a bit loose so I adjusted them to spec. Every bolt was tightned to spec. A new ticking sound came (had loosened them too much according to forums), so I went back in a second time and found them too loose (didn't realise "some drag" actually meant tight) = I tightened them to spec, and the "new" ticking disappeared. This time I made sure the next gauge up wouldn't fit.

I don't think it's the exhaust. I know this engine would always tick like this after a cold start, but I think it would disappear when revving/driving; now the ticking is always there, when idle or accelerating. Maybe it's something I never took notice of before, but it's in my head now!

Extra info: I did the second adjustment yesterday and this clip was taken after its first 30 minute drive today, so the engine was fully warmed up. I didn't rev the car much at all but hopefully you get the idea... The ticking gets faster and maybe louder as I push the engine. It's obvious even at 30mph. Also, before putting the valve cover back on, I forgot to pour some oil on the top components and it did look a bit dry there, but the oil level is at the maximum so I don't know if that matters (still clean, changed 3 months ago, and will change again in a few weeks since I've just opened up the engine...). Also, I turned the engine via the wheel. I put the car into 5th gear and rotated a tyre to get the chain to rotate. Adjusted them 1-3-4-2 when each number was at the top. By the time each number got to the top, it sounded like compression was lost but I'm not sure about that, or if it's normal or if it even matters (I didn't remove the spark plugs), but they were definitely at the top as I did each one. The wheel was never rotated anti-clockwise.

For now, I'll keep driving (maybe it'll stop making this sound once enough oil circulates to the top but I somehow doubt it). Any help is welcome!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I adjusted my valve clearances on same engine recently too at 75k miles, surprised so many of yours were out of spec at only 50k miles, I think I adjusted at most 3. Had a listen to the video, hard to tell but there is a definite ticking.

With the engine running, get an old towel, roll it up and place it over the injector assembly at the rear of the engine, this can then help isolate injector ticking from valve train noise as if it's the injectors, then placing a towel over them will stifle this noise, but if it's the valve train then there will be no change in the ticking noise. Hope this makes sense. I presume you applied some high temp gasket maker to the oil pump and head union and left to harden for a few hours? If as a result of the towel experiment it does appear to be valve noise, maybe see if there's a decent garage near you who could have a quick look?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you following the workshop manual procedure for doing this job. Are you using the marks on the cam sprocket to find correct position to adjust each cylinder

·
Enjoying life
8,708 Posts
Are you following the workshop manual procedure for doing this job. Are you using the marks on the cam sprocket to find correct position to adjust each cylinder
I'm wondering that too, the quote about each number being at the top!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Something slipped my mind yesterday night - on the second adjustment run, while I made sure all the intakes were at 0.20mm, I actually set the exhaust to the lower end of the spec to 0.23mm to be certain there woud be no noise, but maybe leaving the intakes at spec is causing a problem since there's a smaller gap between intakes/exhaust now?

Twiz & flasy: I think so. I was turning the cam via drivers side wheel in 5th gear. They turned in UP-3-4-2 (on the cam at the very top). I adjusted the valves (from the left), 1-3-4-2.

Compton: When I did this, I only disconnected the 2 hex bolts and the rear cover on the injectors (I didn't disconnect any of the injector wires), so maybe some bending of that harness did affect something. I'll remove the rear cover and place a towel on the injectors soon.

·
Enjoying life
8,708 Posts
This is the k20, I'll assume the r18 is the same set up in respect of crank position

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flasy actually the R18A2 has a single cam sprocket at the top with UP, 3, 4 and 2 (in this sequence) written on it when turned clockwise. Looks simpler than the k20.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I adjusted my valve clearances on same engine recently too at 75k miles, surprised so many of yours were out of spec at only 50k miles, I think I adjusted at most 3. Had a listen to the video, hard to tell but there is a definite ticking.

With the engine running, get an old towel, roll it up and place it over the injector assembly at the rear of the engine, this can then help isolate injector ticking from valve train noise as if it's the injectors, then placing a towel over them will stifle this noise, but if it's the valve train then there will be no change in the ticking noise. Hope this makes sense. I presume you applied some high temp gasket maker to the oil pump and head union and left to harden for a few hours? If as a result of the towel experiment it does appear to be valve noise, maybe see if there's a decent garage near you who could have a quick look?
I've just tried this towel test. Towel was a bit damp but that should make it better. Held it down on top of the injectors and the sound was definitely coming from the valves area. I could hear the ticking sound through the dash too.

I don't see what I've done wrong so rather than wasting another £15 on another gasket, I think I'll just go to a Honda dealership and pray they fix it. They charge £100 for the job.
Anyone have any experience with the Wimbledon Park Honda dealership (London).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update: Just had the valves adjusted at the dealership. The engine sounds how it should but... My MPG has dropped from 28 to 20!!!!!! WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!

Edit: I'll take it on a motorway next week so I'll know for sure... Maybe my driving habit changed after I noticed the jump in power.

·
4,773 Posts
You noticed a jump in power after the valve clearance was adjusted? Are you certain that wasn't a placebo effect?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You noticed a jump in power after the valve clearance was adjusted? Are you certain that wasn't a placebo effect?

You might be right, but I've definitely been driving rougher since. The ticking sound was previously worring me so I wouldn't thrash the engine. Since that noise is gone now, I'm been pushing the car more.

I'll know for sure after the motorway run.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
You might be right, but I've definitely been driving rougher since. The ticking sound was previously worring me so I wouldn't thrash the engine. Since that noise is gone now, I'm been pushing the car more.

I'll know for sure after the motorway run.
That might be where your mpg went too

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I can say for certain after i had mine done the restored power was a night and say difference to before. I dont think it had ever been done and the car was on 90k. The pickup was far better

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

After a 0w-30 oil change and a 50 mile motorway run, I'm getting 35mpg there and 30mpg in city driving now. I guess it just needed some time. Engine is also very quiet now, and there is definitely more power in the lower RPMs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Update:

After a 0w-30 oil change and a 50 mile motorway run, I'm getting 35mpg there and 30mpg in city driving now. I guess it just needed some time. Engine is also very quiet now, and there is definitely more power in the lower RPMs.
I would say that is still on the low side, mine is averaging 43mpg over the last 290 miles (work commute). I can get it higher without too much effort on considerably longer runs.

Having said that, I could easily get it under 30 if it's someone else is paying for the fuel! Haha

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes it's definitely on the low side. I forgot to mention I did have the A/C running the entire time so you can probably add 2-3mpg too. I mainly do short 2-4 mile city drives so I'm not too surprised. I'm just glad it's not below 25mpg at this point...

Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts