2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am the owner of a 3 and something year old 9th gen. UK spec 1.6 idtec diesel SE Plus Nav model, that I just bought a few days ago from Arnold Clark, here in Fife, Scotland. Very impressed so far. I have, very sadly, traded in a Honda Accord 2.0 SE Euro 2007 model, which I adored, overall the best car I have ever bought. Really sad to see this beautifully made car go, as you can imagine, I didnt get a lot for it, such is the lack of interest in 3 box saloons. I know a bit about cars, but this car was so reliable, I didn’t really need to, though. Anyway, I’ve joined the ranks of Civic owners and I’m looking forward to, hopefully, many more years of trouble freeish years of enthusiastic driving . Just as motorists are eschewing diesel, thanks to VW’s dieselgate shenanigans, I’m joining them for the first time! (Bar 3 months of ownership of an awfully unreliable Audi A3 2.0tdi). So here goes, any help with this fine motor will be most appreciated. For me, it seems to have everything most people will need in a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum, the 9th Gen is a very nice car-- although I have a slightly biased opinion ! ;)
Why, thank you bill ericay, yes it’s nice. Just out of interest, I was born in Billericay, Essex! St Andrews Hospital.....you from Essex, originally?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Hi & welcome to Civinfo.

I also came form an Accord (mine was a 2003 new shape) that I put 150k miles on - I still miss that car - now have a 9th Gen Civic and a LR Freelander (Mrs Hicks & I share the 2 vehicles - we don't really have his & her car :) - Oh and 2 Land Rover Series Ones from 1957 (y) I'm the fleet manager 😁)

I do like the Civic (an EX Plus) but it simply isn't in the same league as the Accord was (also an Exec) such a shame that Honda gave up on saloons in the UK in the face of (IMHO inferior) Audi competition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi & welcome to Civinfo.

I also came form an Accord (mine was a 2003 new shape) that I put 150k miles on - I still miss that car - now have a 9th Gen Civic and a LR Freelander (Mrs Hicks & I share the 2 vehicles - we don't really have his & her car :) - Oh and 2 Land Rover Series Ones from 1957 (y) I'm the fleet manager 😁)

I do like the Civic (an EX Plus) but it simply isn't in the same league as the Accord was (also an Exec) such a shame that Honda gave up on saloons in the UK in the face of (IMHO inferior) Audi competition.
You have taste, although I didn’t want to hear that the Civic is not in the same league as the Accord, 😂 it does seem really well made, though, absolutely solid and squeak free. Only time will tell. The Accord had a glovebox that I could never seem to quite silence. It was at 144000 miles when I got rid last week and had one tiny spot of rust on the rear near side arch. So much better made than the A3 tdi that preceded it.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Don't get me wrong - the Civic is good, very good, but it just lacks a feel of a level of quality that my Accord had, the leather seats in the Accord were way better for example - the Civic ones feel thinner and cheaper, as is the case with most of the interior materials - beyond that it is just a feeling - maybe it is the way the Japanese put them together rather than monkeys at Swindon lol

It is like the Civic was built to a price and perhaps more importantly to a weight (must satisfy the EU joy killers!) where the Accord was built to be the best it could - very much like my old RVF400 (NC35) that was built regardless of cost to be as good as it could - buying new, you could buy a 1000cc superbike for not a lot more lol it was a ridiculously expensive 400 but was absolutely awesome!

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
over the last 25 years ive on my 4th civic various models and ive had 2 accords
you are correct that the accords do feel better made/quality
but are a bit bland for some
im happy enough with my 9g1.6 but still miss the 2.2 engine from my 8g the last accord i had was good car but under powered and not very good on petrol it was the 1850 petrol engine but it served me very well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear others thoughts. I think the 2003-2007 model I had was exceptionally well built. I remember the domino type advert at the time going on about quality and precision. Honda were pushing it upmarket to compete with Mercs and beemers, ultimately beating both. I really like this Civic, though, very smooth for a diesel and so far knocking on 70mg across country, which is amazing. The infotainment is a real mystery, though 😂

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Why, thank you bill ericay, yes it’s nice. Just out of interest, I was born in Billericay, Essex! St Andrews Hospital.....you from Essex, originally?
To answer your question, if I lived 6 miles one way my username would be Basil Don, 6 miles the other it would be Brent Wood ! I 've lived all over the place, -born in a refugee camp in Cornwall, but have lived in Billericay for about 40 odd years now. St Andrew's was partly sold off to build houses on many years ago, but still exists as a Health Centre for physio, blood tests and X-rays.
Sorry , a bit late replying, other things to do .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Superb, a friend took me to Billericay and it was all private homes, where the hospital used to be, which was about 2005. I didn’t know the place, but it seemed nice. My family lived in Basildon, up to March 1966, my parents thought it was getting a bit rough as it expanded at a huge rate, so we moved to Buckinghamshire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts