2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
884 Posts
i was reading about this on pistonheads this morning. bonkers price increase. the old fk8 was like 36 or something? so this is another 10k more expensive?!

499 per month sounds affordable but that's with a £11k down payment, so you'd pay near £30k over 3 years just to rent the car - that's nuts. Anyone doing that needs their head examined IMO.

I'd harboured thoughts that the fl5 might be just about do-able for me if it was a few k more than the outgoing fk8, but this is just a non-starter at that price point. Great car though and i love everything about it, other than the cost.

FYI Porsche Cayman starts at 47k. A honda civic at the same price point? who'd have thought it?!> :D

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI Porsche Cayman starts at 47k.
Dont people need their heads examined for signing up for an unreliable and costly to fix piece of Deutsche-trash like this too? Worth noting that a lot of people rent/PCP cars with monthlies a lot higher than £499, especially for some of poverty-spec crap from BMW, Audi, Merc and others.

"Type R imports will be restricted to the “hundreds, not thousands”, according to Rebecca Adamson, Honda’s UK’s head of cars."

Thats the key here- and thats why pricing is the way that it is.

Honda wants to keep the 11G CTR as exclusive and price inelastic as possible, courtesy of supply restrictions. Honda knows that there will be takers for this and I would not be surprised if allocations are sold out in hours, if not days (granted, orderbook only opened today).

· Premium Member
436 Posts
Just hope that price increase means the ICE is better. I looked at the FK8, M140i and Golf 7.5 R a few years back and the FK8 had dire ICE in comparison to the VW and BMW. Even the salesman was a bit apologetic about it being "a couple of years behind German stuff".

The price of new cars in general has gone a bit bonkers and you'd have to be a proper Type R fan boy to part with £47k for one. You do get a lot of car for your money though, the thing looks absolutely massive and you'd be extracting urine calling it a hot hatch.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the FK8 had dire ICE in comparison to the VW and BMW
The irony of course is that the system in the new Civic CTR/Hybrid, Jazz Hybrid and HR-V Hybrid might "look" new, but they are all outdated as they spawned from the 2016 Honda Accord.

The newest Honda Accord has a Google-driven infotainment unit.

the thing looks absolutely massive
Thats because it is. I recall reading that only the front doors and the tailgate are carried over from the Civic Hybrid - everything else is bigger and not interchangeable. Still, I'd rather spend £47k on this bombproof thing than some crap from Europe.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,946 Posts
Jazz Hybrid is Android 8. Just shows when it was developed. Circa late 2017.

I don't know about others but Honda seem never to update the original Android version.

The only issue I sometimes have is that it can take up to 2 minutes for AA to connect and display Google Maps, sometimes it's almost instant. To be fair though my phone, when I powerup the car, connects to a Garmin standalone via Smartphone Link and launches Speedtrap Alert.

· i-Dtec
5,546 Posts
As I said in the other post the CTR is selling for around $72k in the US, that's, give or take £60k!
Its hard to deny Honda are over priced in some respects. When I bought my Gen10 the E Stirling Honda had on the showroom floor was priced at From £34k. Thats ridiculous for an electric car that does 100 miles. But tbh I though the HRV and CRV that had were "reasonable". I dont think the Gen11 civic is particularly expensive considering it really is an Accord now.

· Premium Member
436 Posts
Thats because it is. I recall reading that only the front doors and the tailgate are carried over from the Civic Hybrid - everything else is bigger and not interchangeable. Still, I'd rather spend £47k on this bombproof thing than some crap from Europe.
When I was looking at the FK8 there were issues starting to arise with gearboxes and engine temps, I'd say it's a bit premature to be calling it bombproof.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was looking at the FK8 there were issues starting to arise with gearboxes and engine temps, I'd say it's a bit premature to be calling it bombproof.
No question, all new models have teething issues, but the FK8 smashes its rivals dead in the ground for reliability. FL5 engine is based directly off of the FK8 - Honda knows the engine strengths/weakenesses a lot better for FL5 than they did when introducing it 5+ years ago.

Its a known quantity - and will still be superior to rival engines. Premature? Absolutely not.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,946 Posts
I've always waited for year 2

2007 8G followed by a 2009 full auto to replace the iShift asap
2013 9G
2022 Jazz (after a tip from a Honda insider) but he still won't tell me exactly what the software/ firmware changes were from the MY21 and my MY22.

· Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Just hope that price increase means the ICE is better. I looked at the FK8, M140i and Golf 7.5 R a few years back and the FK8 had dire ICE in comparison to the VW and BMW. Even the salesman was a bit apologetic about it being "a couple of years behind German stuff".

The price of new cars in general has gone a bit bonkers and you'd have to be a proper Type R fan boy to part with £47k for one. You do get a lot of car for your money though, the thing looks absolutely massive and you'd be extracting urine calling it a hot hatch.
I agree with you mate apart from I think it's a lot of money for the car. And the wing looks like an afterthought from Halfords.

Reactions: UK-Kev

· Premium Member
884 Posts
i watched a whole load of video reviews on the FL5 yesteday evening. I have to say after being really negative around the pricing initially i think is still really REALLY want one lol.

I also spend some time looking at what alternatives you could get used for mid-forties. I found a very nice lotus evora 400 for less money than the civic - its a proper junior super car, mid-engined supercharged v6, 400 bhp, smidge over 4 seconds 0-60, 180 mph top speed but having slept on it .. i think if i had the money i 'd likely still go for the civic :)

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of the worst reviews ever. Back handed compliments all the way, largely over the price differential he moans about.

He claims its all tweaks etc, but that just shows why journo's are nothing but paid word-salad-tossers. If he had any engineering prowess, he'd know that there are more than just "tweaks" between the 10G CTR and 11G CTR.

Utter tool and oxygen thief. :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts