2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 60 plate honda CRV. I purchased The car back on the 15/11/2013. I bought this car from Lloyd Honda and upon purchase the vehicle had done 21298 miles. I financed the vehicle on PCP for four years. I needed the car for occasional snow driving and to get to my work.

On12/11/14 the CRV went to Lloyds to be Serviced at 36973 miles. At this point I was advised that the car would need to come back in to the garage as there was a problem with the engine. The car was under warranty at this time.

The car went back into Lloyds on 16/12/2014 to be stripped down to investigate and find the leak. I was told that the source of the leak was a faulty high pressure hose that connects to the front of the engine block. This hose was ordered and I was told it could be fitted at a later date.

The car was still under its approved used car guarantee until 22/12/2014 but I was informed that I was 5000 miles over the warranty and so Honda would not honor the repair for the pipe.

the car wasn't returned to Lloyds until 18/02/2015. This was the earliest convenience to myself and Lloyds. The high pressure hose was replaced but I was told that whilst testing the car with the new part they had discovered that the leak had worsened. They deemed the car unfit and unsafe for use and it was put off the road at Lloyds.

Unfortunately I was informed by Lloyds that there was a small hairline crack in the engine block. This was located along the spout in which the pipe that was replaced connects to. They then went on to state that the retail price for a replacement engine block would exceed £10000.

Long story short it took 5 months for the garage to order parts from Japan and now fix my car. I was without a car for a month then provided a totally unsuitable car for two months and eventually got a demonstrator when I begun to struggle to get to my work.

Honda have paid for the parts which would suggest they are at fault. I though have to pay a £1500 labour cost. I gather this is not a massive bill but it is to me at 25.

I have been in touch with the finance company, citizens advice, trading standards and now the ombudsman are investigating. My finance company state if I could have proved the fault was present in the first six months then I could return the car, I cannot.

What I would like to know is why I was not aware of this fault when using the car and why it only worsened when the pipe was replaced? I bought a car on a four year contract and it developed a colossal fault after 11 months. I am now having to pay to repair this.

Is this crack a common thing? I was informed by Honda they had never seen this before, I disagree as I have found that the Civic was recalled a few years back re cracked engine blocks.

I am not looking for a miracle I am just trying to contact as many people as possible for any advice at all.

Thanks,
Nicola Adamson.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
This sounds pretty grim. Is this a petrol or diesel model? You have to wonder if the damage was done during the replacement of said pipe. I would also have thought that allowing a known leak to continue is very poor advice on the part of the garage. The fact that the vehicle was in warranty when you reported the fault should mean that you shouldn't have to pay anything. I'd speak with Honda UK about this. Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hope it works out ok for you. I wonder if you told Honda that your tale of woe has been posted on this website, and being read by many concerned owners, they may be quick to remedy this problem for you? Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
It seems to me that the initial fault was the crack in the casting that was wrongly diagnosed as a faulty hose, they realised this when the fault wasn't rectified with the new part and should have sorted it. May be to late to prove though, best play hell with Honda direct, good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Honda are paying for the parts but it seems to me that the dealer is contributing nothing. They could, if they so choose, discount the labour bill by up to 50% without doing the job at a loss. You can bet that if they haven't mentioned a labour discount, you aren't getting one.

Never underestimate the cost of running a car. Unexpected bills could occur at any time. Honda are very good in that they are contributing the parts. Many car companies would not have done so in my experience. Not at that age.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello Nicola,

Do you have any free legal service with your bank, or are you a member of one of the motoring organisation’s that offer this service, if yes before you part with any more money I would suggest you seek legal advice.

Kev

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Unfortunately I was informed by Lloyds that there was a small hairline crack in the engine block. This was located along the spout in which the pipe that was replaced connects to. They then went on to state that the retail price for a replacement engine block would exceed £10000.
Wonder did they crack it by over-tightening it? :roll:

Yes as mentioned, the labour could be discount. I'd imagine they are charging around £70 an hour, of which the technician is probably only seeing £8.

Hope you get this sorted soon with minimum cost to you.

Rik.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Have you been in contact with Honda UK?

As the garage sent you way until part arrived and the fault got worse, the garage should take some of the blame!

If it was me I would take legal advise and kick arse with Honda UK.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts