2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
What is the actual cost in CO2 emissions compared with petrol? And I mean in manufacturing and electricity generation. Not daily running which is pretty obviously zero and will please the tree huggers no end, as they are passing off their CO2 production to 'someone else'.
there's loads of research out there, but you can sum up as follows

- if you are using electricity generated by burning fossil fuels, then your electric car is worse for the environment than an efficient combustion motor. this is currently the case if you have electric in say, china for example.

- if you are using electric generated by renewables then electric is better for the planet.

And yes, that includes the impact of mining the battery elements etc.

cable thefts? nope - electric cars lock the cable in place when charging. Agree though, as well as range anxiety you'll get "charge anxiety" ie fear that you arrive at the charge place only to find someone else on there who's gone for lunch and won't be back for x hrs.. infrastructure will grow though in line with demand. expect all the supermarkets (for example) to offer charging whilst you shop etc. tesco and the others will jump on the chance to sell you electricity whilst they are also selling you baked beans.. plus it's likely to keep you longer in the shop / buy a coffee/cake etc..

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
swing and a miss with that range. it's not like honda are new to the game either; they have wealth of R&D from their Insight model.
is it that much to ask for a new small EV that'll do 300miles?

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
300 miles in one hit is a fair hike.

200 miles is much more realistic. 45 minute Rest break whilst it rapid charges and off you go again.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I absolutely love it. But then I love retro. Here’s hoping the C sector car looks like a Mk8 Civic! The price is good. And it looks like it’s a hoot to drive. (Rwd, and all that torque) there’s a lot of thought gone into this one.

Range enough for me with 35mi each way commute. Range and charge anxiety are much much less of a problem in reality than people think. The E is on the small side for weekends though.

I test drove the Kia eNiro in April and if I could have bought it then I would have!

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Just like they did on diesel?
I was happy with my 2.2 8G, but there were 'strong hints' that Her Majesty's Government would be imposing stricter taxation clauses on diesel vehicles, and sooner rather than later, so YES .... petrol was deemed 'acceptable'.

Now it's the devil's blood and everyone must drive an electric vehicle .... and with the recent furore over parking restrictions, just how are many going to recharge them?

I presume eventually, if/when there are electric vehicles more practical to the general requirements, if/when recharging is required, we will be parking over inductive charging panels, accessed by pay-coding systems ...

Al.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Solar panelled roof as a trickle charge while its stood out in the sun?? Tech exists today, so dont know why no one is doing that as well..

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
That does not tell you either the the cost of producing the hydrogen or the carbon footprint of production, just the cost to the end user. The same is true of electric cars, but see post #21 {not referenced}).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can you imagine the hassle of charging a car every night for evermore.

Ill stick to my 2.2 thank you

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Very informative and convincing as well.

This had been mentioned in, of all places, F1 when they were blabbing on, and somebody said in discussions with BMW, who'd had that 7-Series working with a fuel cell, hydrogen fuelled perhaps 15 years ago, and BMW had been approached, and simply stated the conditions required are very difficult to achieve in practice ... PITY!!

Al.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Can you imagine the hassle of charging a car every night for evermore.
you probably charge your phone every night? don't see the problem personally.. also most new EV's (kona, ipace etc) have somewhere approaching 300 mile range, so for many folks this won't then need a daily charge.

i also think as things progress you'll see inductive charging so you only need to park next to/ on top of a pad in your drive puts charge in your batter without the hassle of plugging in wires etc.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts