2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before about 6 months there has been an "investigation" on which brands of car the customers are most pleased and are most reliable. The first three places of 30 or more was won by japanese cars: Lexus, Toyota, Honda so we can see that Honda is in the top of the most reliable cars in the world. So I'm thinking whats with all this bugs,faults and irritations on a model which is on the market for no more than a year??? I mean, has Honda lost its reputation? I've never drove a Honda before and I'm planing to get new one pretty soon (Type S diesel or CTR) and was wondering why would I buy a car which is not that reliable from begining? I don't want to drive it to my dealer to repair it every month...
Just to let you know that I'm pretty disapointed from what I'm reading in this section... For a car that costs here where I live more than a Leon Cupra, Golf GTI or is in range with Mazda MPS, Ford Focus ST etc. Honda mustn't allow all those bugs from the start or it will loose potential buyers and they will turn to other brands, wouldn't you agree? [smilie=sadlook.gif]

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I agree, but some people on here do not have any problems at all and some just a few, its a gamble but one that only you can decide to take.

I have had and still have problems with my car but I do still really like it and out of choice of the others in its class would still buy one again at this moment in time.

I am sure Honda will lose out on some sales due to the problems with the Civic but I really doubt that they care to be honest, with all the other cars they sell they are still one of the most reliable on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Absolutely not!
Having owned five civics over three generations and various Honda motorbikes I had no hesitation in buying this one.
Forums tend to show a distorted view of any car as people will always mention complaints but say nothing when it goes right.
A lot of problems are down to how a complaint is dealt with by a dealer.
Honda will very quickly deal with potential problems behind the scenes as they do not like the loss of face in admitting a problem.
The '07 cars seem to have had the problems sorted and nothing was said by Honda. My civic has not shown any of the traits that you read about on here and no doubt the majority of owners will say the same.
By all means buy a Seat or whatever car you fancy, it is, after all, your money. But you tend to find that once most people are a Honda owner they remain a Honda owner when it is time to change.
The new Lexus has had its fair share of problems too and they are always in the top few car makers.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
The 2006 civic was an all new design with new engines and electrics the works and from the 105,000 plus civics Honda have built in the last year
a small percentage of them have had one or two issues ( some quite a few issues) but things seem to have been blown out of proportion

Yes Honda should have done more by now for owners still experiencing problems - Things will get better Honda are one of the best and have been caught on the back foot with 2006 Issues

Plus there other models are basically spot on

it is a shame this is a small blot on Honda's name

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Forums always attract more negative comments as people seek help or want to see if they are alone. I've had minor problems, nothing thats put me off the car at all, think most people would say the same. No new car is fault free, over the past year Honda will have improved matters and my dealer has been most helpful with fixing any issues I have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that has to be like that, if you manufacture 100 000 units of something some of them will have bugs because of the rapid manufacturing of that units...Don't get me wrong, I will probably get Civic although it cost more than other cars in its class but because of it looks from the inside and outside and the name Honda (which for me is a synonim for reliability) on it I'll look no further. I just hope that I will not be dissapointed and that I will not be unlucky to get those bugs on it because it will be mine first Honda :)

btw. about reliability - lets take 100 000 new and 100 000 used units of each brand of car in example: VW, Leon, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Audi, BMW...
Would you say that 100 000 new units and used units of Honda would have smaller percentage of bugs,fixes etc. than any other brand(I don't mean here on Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, and that kind of brands)?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Very Happy

Hi Clouseau,

I really understand your comments but I have now had an 07 i-VTEC Sport (Scandinavian market version) in which I've done just over 10000 kms in 3½ months with none of the problems (so far)n that you see described/discussed in this forum. My only - very, very small - disappointment is with the gear box, which is not as good as I had expected. However, my previous car was a Peugeot 307 and - believe me - as a driver's car, the Civic is in a completely different league. I think thie Civic is terrific - there's the slogan for you "Civic Terrific":D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Clouseau,

I really understand your comments but I have now had an 07 i-VTEC Sport (Scandinavian market version) in which I've done just over 10000 kms in 3½ months with none of the problems (so far)n that you see described/discussed in this forum. My only - very, very small - disappointment is with the gear box, which is not as good as I had expected. However, my previous car was a Peugeot 307 and - believe me - as a driver's car, the Civic is in a completely different league. I think thie Civic is terrific - there's the slogan for you "Civic Terrific":D
:D
Than you can imagine what will I feel when I sit from a Golf II 18years old(and it served excellent al thise years and steel does) to new Civic :D

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
No Fix

I have been told and awaiting letter to confirm
that i have 2 choices
sell my civic or put up with the design faults
service manager has same faults on his 2007 car

so please Broderick have a thought for somebody else

I do not want to get in a slanging match but i am sick of being told that they can't fix my car and i have to live with it

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I have been told and awaiting letter to confirm
that i have 2 choices
sell my civic or put up with the design faults
service manager has same faults on his 2007 car

so please Broderick have a thought for somebody else

I do not want to get in a slanging match but i am sick of being told that they can't fix my car and i have to live with it
Then of course there is the fact that you dont get given a choice - you just get ignored by Honda instead!!

I know someone with an 07 Civic and same old problems.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Let me start by pointing out that those owners who are currently experiencing faults have my utmost sympathy.
I too would be as gutted as they are if I were in their position.
Especially those with multiple faults :(
And even more especially those who are getting nowhere with having them fixed. :(

On the flip side (and again, not dissing anyone or belittling the problems), there are many happy fault free oweners out there.

By the nature of the 'net, anyone who has a problem with their car these days can very easily log on and find out if anyone else has the same problem.

And given the success of this place, it's hardly surprising that they end up here, and add their voice. Which is both :) and :( ( :) cos they found us, and :( cos they have the problem in the first place)

It's therefore hardly surprising that anyone reading this forum for the first time will get the impression that the Civic is a hastly thrown together collection of things waiting to go wrong.
(again, not having a go at anyone at all! discussing faults is part of what this place it about :))

btw. about reliability - lets take 100 000 new and 100 000 used units of each brand of car in example: VW, Leon, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Audi, BMW...
Would you say that 100 000 new units and used units of Honda would have smaller percentage of bugs,fixes etc. than any other brand(I don't mean here on Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, and that kind of brands)?

I can't comment on all of those brands but...
VW / Audi. Remember about 2 years ago when we had a cold winter? Thousands (literally) of VW and Audi cars were stranded by the side of the road when their coil packs failed. And to make it worse, VW / Audi ran out of replacements. Another common failure is the MAF unit. And the stock turbo. And squeaking anti roll bars.

BMW. Never owned one. And after sitting in a few whilst choosing a car to go for last time round, never will. I would be amazed if the BMW forums aren't full of threads along the lines of 'the air vents grills have snapped off in my hands', 'dash plastic would disgrace a Kia'.

Mazda. Owned one, many years ago, and thought it was great (323F GTi). Naff design choices - such as none folding rear seats in the saloon - put me off this time round.

The only way we will know for sure if the Civic's share of problems have dented Honda's rep is to look at the same poll this time next year :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Egelundsvej. I too have a Scandinavian model (1.8 i-VTEC Sport) with a little more than 13.000 km in 8 months. Just a few minor problems (the fuel filler cap and RDS radio reception - that's all) but I haven't even been to see the dealer since I drove my new car out of his office! It's a joy every moring when I wake up and start to look forward to the daily trip to the office! That car rocks!:D My biggest problem is that I can't seem to do more than 33 MPG, but most likely my own fault;)

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
My Last car was a Shogun bought new owned it for 5 years only 1 claim under warranty .Recently tried one again but it is so dated compaired to my civic.
Please note I like my Civic it is not getting the faults fixed I do not like

1 - 13 of 13 Posts