2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Captain Slog
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had the use of a Jazz as a courtesy car for a couple of days over the last week, the little car has impressed me at just how economical it is. The car was running at 49 MPG from a petrol engine! I was well impressed :) The downside is that it is that is painfully slow, wallows around corners, has no kit, and looks boring.... though it does go over speed bumps better than my Civic!

LJ

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Just had our dealers Jazz loan car for a week, while my front shocks were being done (again).
I put about 500 miles on it with a good mix of town and motorway driving, and found it very easy to live with, (particualrly no clonks from the suspension). Yes, gutless, but very economical, and you can see out of it.
Also it has the audio AUX-in 3.5mm jack. I thought that would be great, but never used it in the end.
I got the Civic back on Sunday, though, and fell in love with it all over again. It made me realise how basic the Jazz is.
(Update on the Civic's shocks: two days gone and still OK).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was thinking about buying one but I got funny looks from the dealer when I went in and asked for a Jazz mag...

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
The dealers courtesy cars are usually the 1.2 engine which is slow
but the 1.4 is Fab.

be interesting to see how good the jazz is v.s the civic when the all new model arrives in Jan 2008

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I loved my Jazz

The 'Sport' does seem to be more fun than lower specs. (better steering, less roll)

Then test drove a Civic. Was going to wait for 08 Jazz, but got a spaceship instead.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
A while ago I did a little review on the 1.4 and feel that I was quite generous giving the wheezy wonder 4 pink rinses out of 5:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/any-non-civic-chat-here-please/3237-honda-jazz-1-4-dsi-road-test.html

On it's gutlessness I wrote:

Firstly, the engine seems unnaturally gutless. Relatively little power low down, followed by less-than-you expected mid-range (but with an almost useful amount at upper-midrange), followed by an awful noise. Above 4,000 rpm there's not much extra power to go there for, in fact all you get is a rough, slightly unpleasant vibrating fizzing engine note that's just begging for you to change up. In Jazz-world, you don't accelerate, but with time the engine will assist the wind and the gradients in helping you go a bit faster. Speed eventually arrives, and once at a normal motorway cruising velocity the car is quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jazz does good in its class. Having experience drinving both 1.4 Civic and Jazz, most obvious difference between two is motorway cruising, even they share the same engine. Civic feels more stable at speed.
I would be interested how new Jazz compares to Civic 1.4.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
The NEW Jazz now has two new engines. A revised 1.2 which now has 90ps rather than the previous 77ps and a 1.4 which has 100ps over the previous 83ps.

Both are now V-tec units so alot smoother as well.

The 1.4 unit will soon be employed in the Civic to give it a bit more of a lift, mainly in the 1.4 Type S coming out in 09 MY guise.

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the new engines are as I am thinking of getting my wife the Jazz next. Our Honda dealer is so nice and efficient I want to use them again.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
It is a 1.4 Engine - they are not made to be rocket ships
if mugen is allowed to play with the jazz and tweak the engine (even slip in a 1.6 i-vtec) then it will be a rocket ship for it's class

what this with quoting the i-shift 0-62 times anyway ???
Manual 1.4 jazz 0-62 11.5

faster than the
Nissan Micra 1.4
Nissan Note 1.4
pug 207 1.4
Fraud Fiesta 1.4

Nothing wrong with the little jazz it is a good little motor

·
Registered
66 Posts
if mugen is allowed to play with the jazz and tweak the engine (even slip in a 1.6 i-vtec) then it will be a rocket ship for it's class

faster than the
Nissan Micra 1.4
Nissan Note 1.4
pug 207 1.4
Fraud Fiesta 1.4

Spot On and the Jazz will be worth a loads more than the above in 3 years time!!!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts

faster than the
Nissan Micra 1.4
Nissan Note 1.4
pug 207 1.4
Fraud Fiesta 1.4

It is indeed. The point is it's also a missed opportunity.

Audi A3 1.4 TFSI AUTO 0-62 9.4 secs.

Shows what can be done with a 1.4. Honda are the world's largest engine manufacturer. But they didn't do it.

It's not that Jazz owners are so immature they want to blast away from the lights all the time. Well, I hope not.

It's just that they're missing out on the general liveliness of the whole driving experience.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Starting Price for Audi A3 1.4tsi £16950

Starting Price for Honda Jazz 1.4 i-vtec £11490

1 - 20 of 49 Posts