2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As the title suggests I'm looking to convert my non-HID model to an HID model.
I heard its a bit of a mission :worms:but being stubborn I'm going to give it a go. I understand headlight washers are required so have bought these including a replacement washer bottle (which is larger) and pump and head-wash control unit.

I also have the Honda HID headlights, but realised I need the headlight adjuster control unit and the front/rear levelling sensors. On my shopping list ;)

I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted a non-HID model to OEM Honda HID headlights and if they could tell me how difficult it was to install/wire up?

Thanks in advance

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dablink, I've seen that post he did a good job but I'm not looking for an aftermarket kit. Plus I need to install the headlight washers also, his car luckily had them as standard. I've collected most of the OEM Honda parts for the conversion but at the mo unsure of what wiring is involved.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely you'll need a new front bumper as well, with cut outs for the washers to sit in?
Luckily the standard bumper has markings on the inside for where the cutouts should be, so you could cut them out the right shape if you wanted without buying a whole new bumper.

As it is I have a whole new bumper with washers complete, which saves me a job :D

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crazy stuff.

I think I will get lights and most of the parts from a crashed car and buy new only if really needed.
Thats exactly what I'm doing :) ...either way we've definately opened a can of worms :worms: haha

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Good luck with this, always thought it must be possible just a matter of getting the parts at the right price to make it worthwhile. Please write a how-to and take plenty of photo's, many people im sure will be interested :)

BFM

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks BFM, I'll certainly take lots of photos of all parts involved and write a how to when I work out how-to [smilie=happydance.:

2,111 Posts
>... if those units already contain the self levelling motors...?
Yes. Please look at #7 on picture below.

>... if the plug sockets on a non-HID model will fit the OEM Honda HID Headlight?
No.
There are parts ## 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 19 in HID headlight model only.
Non-HID headlight unit has parts ## 12, 16

Do I get this right? Is the non-HID reflector the same as the HID reflector (part #20 that is)? I thought these would be different... :eek:

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Do I get this right? Is the non-HID reflector the same as the HID reflector (part #20 that is)? I thought these would be different... :eek:
They are the same - which is why those who have fitted aftermarket HID sets just need the ballast units and wiring and bulbs - the last are a straight swap, in the same reflector unit ...

2,111 Posts
They are the same - which is why those who have fitted aftermarket HID sets just need the ballast units and wiring and bulbs - the last are a straight swap, in the same reflector unit ...
Then why don't my aftermarket hid's have a perfect cutoff and light beam? (and I've installed H7R bulbs though...) :confused:

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have purchased the HID units ready to fit and I concur, there is a cover over the bulb inside the unit which reflects the light backwards into the reflector. The non-HID headlight unit does not have this cover (just went to check).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.