2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone understand this?

Honda offered me this when I first approached them earlier in the year but, as I had reservations, I opted to go with hire purchase. Yesterday evening however I learnt that someone I know has a Civic on order and is seriously considering the PCP plan. She reminded me that, after three years, Honda present 3 options:

Pay an agreed 'guaranteed minimum value' figure and purchase the car outright.
Hand the car back, provided it's in reasonable condition, and walk away.
'Trade in' the car for its 'guaranteed minimum value' against another Honda.

I was confused by the final option though and questioned how you could trade in a car, the final payment of which remained outstanding. Does anyone know if Honda give you the trade in value against a new car, or just write off the remaining payment and put you onto a new deal? I'm wondering if I might be able to transfer my agreement (probably not I guess).

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've gone with Honda PCP,

basically the guaranteed minimum value is set to match the value of the outstanding finance, so that when you return the car you owe nothing. However, it is usual (expected) for the car value to exceed the minimum to leave you with a nice deposit to put on your new car. The third option (I think) allows you to transfer the remaining value to a new car (effectively putting down a deposit) straight onto a new Honda

no doubt someone will correct me :roll:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
As I understand the PCP thing, the 3rd option does not allow you to put the guaranteed minimum value down as a deposit, but the balance of the actual value less the minimum, which is usually quite a bit lower than its actually value, like the balloon payment, if you sold the car privately you could make more then pay off the outstanding credit and pocket the balance, although I am not sure of PCP allows this. I know the scheme I have my company Civic on does allow this. I have 3 options at the end of 4 years, pay £3500 for the car and keep it, sell the car privately, pay the lease company £3500 and pocket the change or give it back and walk away.

I am thinking of buying it, as I think £3500 for a 4yr old car doesn't seem too bad, although it will have the starship miles to go with the look, at least I know who has driven it, and how it was looked after.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The third option allows you to use any equity in the car as a deposit towrds a new one.

My business manager tends to under value a car at the end on the term by as much as the clients budget allows, which returns greater equity.

E.g.

GMFV = £5000

Part ex value = £6000

Your deposit = £1000

every ones a winner, frankie skinner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts