2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the latest disc (07/08 ) for the built-in satnav, come with safety camera alerts?

If not can the info be downloaded/uploaded onto the Honda satnav?

You would think in this day and age, manufacturers should be automatically downloading safety camera info onto built-in satnavs, for use in the UK

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
There are no safety cameras on the Civic SatNav DVD, nor can they be added.

I agree with your comments as well, this day and age they should be included and updateable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if the info is not included Kremmen, it wouldn't be so bad, if at least we could upload the info

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
They will catch on eventually.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I wonder whether if you fitted the screen if you could add a different sat nav system to it and therefore just route it to the screen, through something like a links 2 box?????

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Do you think there will ever be a heads up like BMW , NOW THATS A NAV SYSTEM.

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
According to PGPSW their camera database can be loaded onto the DVD that BMW uses.

I wonder who builds their SatNav system (that apparently is also in RR vehicles) ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder whether if you fitted the screen if you could add a different sat nav system to it and therefore just route it to the screen, through something like a links 2 box?????
Technically, it is possible because the Alpine screen does have a VGA input. That is connected to the nav unit.
But, and it is a big but, you'd have to power-up the screen (not so hard)
You'd have to hope the screen works independently from your HU (dubious)
You'd also have to find and install a nav unit with VGA output (hard to find except if you go for an InCarPC)
But that would be awesome, albeit VERY expansive.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Cool, so my fevered rantings are plausible ;-)

Tom

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
I just been doing some double checking.

The models that can accept third party Safety Camera POI's burned to DVD are :

BMW Professional NAV DVD/CD
BMW High NAV DVD/CD
Land Rover Professional NAV DVD
Mini Professional NAV DVD
Rolls Royce Professional NAV DVD
Rover Professional NAV DVD

One for Alpine to work on then !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the grand scheme of things then Kremmen, that's not very many!

It is indeed time for all car manufacturers to stipulate third party poi can be accepted.

And these manufacturers better NOT say it's all about cost, as that's rubbish, with the prices they charge for the optional extra!

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
In the grand scheme of things then Kremmen, that's not very many!

It is indeed time for all car manufacturers to stipulate third party poi can be accepted.

And these manufacturers better NOT say it's all about cost, as that's rubbish, with the prices they charge for the optional extra!
By the sheer lack of support for it in manufacturers at the current time, the responsibility lays with the suppliers of the technology rather than the car builders. Seeing as most of those mentioned have all been interlinked within recent years, i'd assume its the same sat nav manufacturer too, using the same or very similar systems.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Luxury ...

Aahhhh ... feeling smug ... where I live, there are no cameras whatsoever ... so, no need for camera info. on my Sat-Nav ...

Also, when I visit the UK (via car ferry Stavanger \ Newcastle) I ignore the f**king things completely ... Norwegian plates confer immunity ! ...

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Also, when I visit the UK (via car ferry Stavanger \ Newcastle) I ignore the f**king things completely ... Norwegian plates confer immunity ! ...
That's funny, I did exactly the same thing with a rental car in the UK a couple of years ago. Blasted (ahem, only just over the limit officer, honest) along the motorways for a week unaware that there were speed cameras! :oops: However, I did not receive any tickets at all! Great having a foreign driving licence for visiting the UK. lol :aetsch:

Bl**dy loads of cameras in my area of Finland! :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

May be I am going to said a stupid think...

Create a web page to let know to Honda about it. We want have a speed cam alert system in own navi.
a Global web page and sign it from all countries of europe....

Regards from spain guys and sorry for my english

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Does anyone know how much it costs for an updated version of the sat nav disc??? We bought our civic August 2007 but the disc in ours is the 2006-2007 model, it doesnt include the new a500 road layout we have or anything even thou the layout opened in july 07!!!

Jayne x

ps - should i have a moan??

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Portable Sat Navs

Is there a way to fit a portable satnav neatly and easily and temporarily, such as the Garmin 'bean bag' or maybe by using the pretty useless slot beneath the radio?

I don't need a satnav very often (don't even own one) but have an Amazon token to spend. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts