2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
iPod link et al

This all seems to be a rather unwieldy approach to integrating an iPod into ones Civic. What's wrong with an FM transmitter e.g. Griffin iTrip? At approx £29.00. not an expensive solution. It doesn't have 'through charging' I admit but other similar devices e.g. Airplay2 do. There are allegations that their sound quality is poor but against the backround noises of a moving car that is less important. I have several years experience using an iTrip mini with no real problems.

Dunchan

(2.2 Civic CDTi ES on order.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had this fitted to my car a few weeks ago before I knew of the systems "limits" - it is being removed next Monday :(

·
Silver Bullet Supporter
263 Posts
This all seems to be a rather unwieldy approach to integrating an iPod into ones Civic. What's wrong with an FM transmitter e.g. Griffin iTrip? At approx £29.00. not an expensive solution. It doesn't have 'through charging' I admit but other similar devices e.g. Airplay2 do. There are allegations that their sound quality is poor but against the backround noises of a moving car that is less important. I have several years experience using an iTrip mini with no real problems.

Dunchan

(2.2 Civic CDTi ES on order.)
Do you or have you ever driven in or around London? Griffin iTrip = Bad reception and poor sound quality. In my opinion a waste of money. Am currently seeking other alternatives (not that there are many). Still I'm not going to pay Honda £ 300 odd to fit a cable where i cant choose my songs through the radio!!! Honda really need to sort this out !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Odd that, I have used my iTrip throughout the U.K. (But not London), and Spain and France without any problems. I did however have to retune in Skye because of a local radio station. Persevere, you will find an unused frequency that you can transmit on I'm quite sure.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
The quality between an FM modulator and a cassette insert on my previous car was VERY noticable.
I would recommend doing a side by side comparison of the FM modulator with an MP3 CD.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
In my previous car, my iTrip was usable. It sounded reasonable, although getting a frequency in London can be challenging thanks to the pirates. If you find a frequency, you generally get a couple of miles down the road and then get interference.

In my, Civic, I found the iTrip totally unusable.

Whilst the Honda iPod connector is poor in terms of functionality, the sound quality is excellent. Frequency response wise, the iTrip simply cannot compete - an iTrip maxes at around 15kHz, so would be vastly inferior even on a perfect FM frequency.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I see that the connects2 box is now down to £34 - surely this is the best option, and it doesn't tie you in to iPods and all the horror that goes with them.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
No the best option is....

Lotsa MP3 CDs!
Cheap option, but not necessarily the best.

If you want the convenience of syncing you ipod/mp3 player with you PC and the ease plugging the player into you car (No rummaging for discs), the connects2 is the best option (OK it's a bit of a pain to install, but worth it!)

£34 and a couple of hours fitting is still an inexpensive option for very high quality sound.

·
Silver Bullet Supporter
263 Posts
The quality between an FM modulator and a cassette insert on my previous car was VERY noticable.
I would recommend doing a side by side comparison of the FM modulator with an MP3 CD.
Have done the MP3 CD route too, how ever most songs I have are a mixture of mp3/m4p which can be frustrating to separate out (and I can not be a***d to convert them either).

MP3 CD does sound better / clearer / louder but carrying around CD's does annoy me somewhat.

Anyways have found a little place in Watford which can fit and ipod cable (and still give me functionality through the radio) for £200 odd.

Will let all know how it goes. (fitting next Tuesday).

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Does this functionality count for the Ipod Touch?? Is naming playlists done on iTunes?

To be honest all i want to do is either play all my songs on random or what i was previously listening to so the cable does what i need :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've noticed recently that when I use disc 8 to put the iPod in shuffle mode, I get the same song every time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I've noticed recently that when I use disc 8 to put the iPod in shuffle mode, I get the same song every time.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I often get the same first track in a random sequence with Playlist 8, but subsequent tracks are different.

I think there seems to be a pattern in that each time I sync the iPod with my PC, the first random track changes. This suggests the randomisation for Playlist 8 is using some kind of seed related to the previous sync.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I often get the same first track in a random sequence with Playlist 8, but subsequent tracks are different.

I think there seems to be a pattern in that each time I sync the iPod with my PC, the first random track changes. This suggests the randomisation for Playlist 8 is using some kind of seed related to the previous sync.
Yes, that is exactly what I get. Oh well, I guess its just a feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Info Required

Hi all,

Looking to get the Honda supplied ipod connector for my 06 sport icdti,
I have a 4th generation ipod nano and was wondering if the lead charges the ipod. i know it does on the older nanos but they recently changed the charging voltage from 12v to 5v.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Have done the MP3 CD route too, how ever most songs I have are a mixture of mp3/m4p which can be frustrating to separate out (and I can not be a***d to convert them either).

MP3 CD does sound better / clearer / louder but carrying around CD's does annoy me somewhat.

Anyways have found a little place in Watford which can fit and ipod cable (and still give me functionality through the radio) for £200 odd.

Will let all know how it goes. (fitting next Tuesday).
Hi Stype_GT

Did you get anywhere with this? I know the post is old, but I would like to know if and how well the solution worked and what it was please

Brett

·
Silver Bullet Supporter
263 Posts
Hi Stype_GT

Did you get anywhere with this? I know the post is old, but I would like to know if and how well the solution worked and what it was please

Brett
Hi Brett,

I took my car to these guys (Impulse Car Electronics – Impulse Service). They fitted me a iPod cable with functionality through my steering controls and main head unit.

The only thing I can't do is see what songs are playing on the digi dash display but then I don't care that much as I have my iPod on shuffle. Think I paid £200 (back in 2007) to get this fitted. They were very helpful and professional and left no marks on the highly scratchable / scuffable dash or head unit.

Not sure if there is a cable out there now which allows you to see track listings but a quick chat to the guys here and you should know.

You can choose the length of the cable and where you want it to be housed (Glove box / Letter box / Tray by Handbrake) I have mine going through to the letter box below the head unit - where my iPod predominately lives and is kept charging.

One note is that the cable doesn't like my iPhone 4. It will play tunes and audio from movies but it won't charge it! Annoyingly I have had to buy a separate griffin charger for this.

Hope all this info helps. Shout back with any further questions.

R.

Reactions: mavrik64
1 - 20 of 36 Posts