2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I collected the car I ordered a Honda touchup bottle. Always do, and my last 3 Civics have all come with the same single bottle.

Some time ago I ordered same from Cox but got a 2 part kit, basecoat and clearcoat.

Had a small chip to sort recently and this 2 part kit is nowhere near as easy to use as the one shot solution. Finish was hopeless.

Fortunately I still had some one shot left so started again.

Anyone know if dealers still supply the single bottle kit ?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Touch up paint is always at least 2 bottles nowadays - basecoat and clearcoat.....so put simply the colour and lacquer.
Pearlescent paint has 3 bottles - basecoat 1, basecoat 2 and clearcoat.
Like yourself I always buy the genuine manufacturer touch up paint for all my cars, but have not had a single bottle for quite a few years.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Ah, so it's changed since 2013.

Shame because dabbing in a bit at a time to flush worked for me. The basecoat seemed matt and even the clearcoat didn't gloss it up as I'd have liked.

Urban Titanium

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Not sure when Honda started supplying 2 bottles, but I've had Ford cars since 2012 and it was always 2 bottles since then.
My understanding is that the clearcoat does nothing to change the colour, it is simply a lacquer to protect it.
It used to be that only metallic paint had a lacquer top coat, solid paint colours did not. All car paint is finished with a clearcoat now.

Personally speaking, when dabbing a spot of touch up paint on the end of a toothpick I never use the clearcoat, but I usually always get a very good colour match.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta

These 2 parts seem to have a matt basecoat so you must use the clearcoat. The single bottle stuff didn't need clearcoat and dried to a perfect glossy finish.

Not sure about Ebay colour match. I've still got some of my 2013 left which has done the trick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The last touch up I bought from Honda (Bassett's Bridgend) was in 2014 and it came as one bottle, just checked invoice and it cost £8.54, this was Urban Titanium for a 9G

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The single bottle recipe is good because it just works. It dries gloss and can be carefully cut back to almost invisible.

This 2 bottle concoction just didn't look right. Even clearcoat over the basecoat still looked matt.

But I'm no touchup expert.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
My local dealership said a few months ago they've discontinued touch up paint because it dries out too quickly. I got the impression this was Honda not the dealership.

Anyway I've had the same trouble. Bought a spray can from Halfords for Milano Red. It's more Orange than red. [smilie=mad.gif][smilie=mad.gif][smilie=mad.gif][smilie=mad.gif][smilie=mad.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
My local dealership said a few months ago they've discontinued touch up paint because it dries out too quickly.
Well that's definitely not true. :surprise:
The reason doesn't even make sense. Who ever heard of a car manufacturer not supplying touch up paint?
Certainly not me. :grin2:

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original single touchup I got in 2013 is still working fine but nearly out.

The double bottle kit I got a while back has a best before date of 2017, so is now bin fodder.

I did get a Halfords special, mixed by paint code, but was nowhere near.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,355 Posts
Halfords do both options but don't have my colour. May just try a silver and see if its good or bad match, current Honda touch up way off.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Well that's definitely not true. :surprise:
The reason doesn't even make sense. Who ever heard of a car manufacturer not supplying touch up paint?
Certainly not me. :grin2:
Well like I said, I can only tell you what they said to me and that was they'd decided it was useless because it thickened too quickly and they couldn't prevent it so were no longer selling touch up sticks. I was advised to go to a professional supplier and get it mixed. Instead I went to Halfords, but as I've said above, it was orange not red!

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my 2 part kit from Cox's. Haven't checked if they still do them.

My 2013 bottle is still in good working order but not much left.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
The double bottle kit I got a while back has a best before date of 2017, so is now bin fodder.
I have just checked the Championship White 2 bottle kit I bought from Cox in September last year.
It has a production date of 6/2017 but no expiry date anywhere on the bottles or packaging.

I find the reason given by the dealer concerning stopping selling touch up sticks hard to believe, because I still have paint bought for cars years old and still perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Certainly a strange one.....I can't say why that should be.
I will have a look at the Ford touch up paint I have and see if there's an expiry date on them.
Car paint is water based nowadays so I wouldn't have thought there needed to be an expiry date....but if so it should be long.
I don't know. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts