2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about it?

I think it isnt that great, get's stratched easily, chip's easily(N)

Also, how do you lot look after the exterior? what products you recomend to use? wax?, using a buffer? cloth?

Any tips?

Regards Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have found that the paintwork chips and scratches easily.

The bonnet on my car suffered its first stone chip within 100 miles.

If it is any consolation I do not think Honda paintwork is any worse than other manufacturers, my next door neighbour's BMW also stone chips very easily. (06 plate)

I have now purchased Meguars Gold Class Wax which gives a brilliant shine.

Milano Red 2.2SE with Leather.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Firstly Dan - as I have picked entirely the WRONG colour just like you have, it's not an easy one to answer....Don't get me wrong, our Nighthawk's look stunning when they are clean and polished..........for about 15-20 seconds, then the minutest bit of dust makes it look filthy!!! :oops: :oops: :x

Anyway, when I can can be bothered to do the car myself, I use a decent wash/shampoo formula (usually something like turtle wax shampoo), then once it's dry (takes about 3 seconds in this heat!!!), I go to work with my maguiars 3 stage wax/polish treatment...

1.Maguiars Paint Cleaner (Removes Swirls and those bloody irritating scratches made by the car wash when I CAN'T be bothered to do it myself!!!!)

2.Maguiars Polish (particularly good on Black cars)

3.Maguiars Carnauba Wax (Good protection, certainly required in the sun out here, and in the winter provides good beading too)

To apply all this I use a soft terry-toweling (?) cloth type thing, and to take it off, I use my buffing machine, which really saves time on the flatter, larger panels.......However, I still have to go back and do the finer fiddly bits that the buffer can't get into.......

All that takes me a minimum of 3 hours..... :cry: :roll: :roll: :cry:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark996 said:
Firstly Dan - as I have picked entirely the WRONG colour just like you have, it's not an easy one to answer....Don't get me wrong, our Nighthawk's look stunning when they are clean and polished..........for about 15-20 seconds, then the minutest bit of dust makes it look filthy!!! :oops: :oops: :x

Anyway, when I can can be bothered to do the car myself, I use a decent wash/shampoo formula (usually something like turtle wax shampoo), then once it's dry (takes about 3 seconds in this heat!!!), I go to work with my maguiars 3 stage wax/polish treatment...

1.Maguiars Paint Cleaner (Removes Swirls and those bloody irritating scratches made by the car wash when I CAN'T be bothered to do it myself!!!!)

2.Maguiars Polish (particularly good on Black cars)

3.Maguiars Carnauba Wax (Good protection, certainly required in the sun out here, and in the winter provides good beading too)

To apply all this I use a soft terry-toweling (?) cloth type thing, and to take it off, I use my buffing machine, which really saves time on the flatter, larger panels.......However, I still have to go back and do the finer fiddly bits that the buffer can't get into.......

All that takes me a minimum of 3 hours..... :cry: :roll: :roll: :cry:
Wow, 3 hours, crazy:p

Where can I get this Maguiars stuff? sounds like a good car care.

Also, what's the best/easiest way to get those anoying fly stain's of the front bonet:mad:, Takes along time to rub of(N) Ive tried the turtle wax bug/tar remover, but that involves some effort, any other way?

Reply's been help full so far(Y)

Regards Dan :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I can vouch for Meguiars. I use their 'Gold Class' polish on my Nighthawk Black Civic and their 'Quik Detailer' is excellent for a weekly (or sooner)top-up polish. Spray on wipe off; it's clear, so no white residue. Do one panel at a time. Takes about 10 mins to do the whole car. Brilliant finish. :lol:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Another thumbs up for Meguiars here also. Gold Class Shampoo and Gold Class Liquid Wax. Best and easiest finish I've ever applied to a car.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
I also use Meguiars Gold Class shampoo & polish as I have found it to be the best, I also use Meguiars microfiber towels for the final buffing after washing - it makes all the difference. The towels cost about £12 (Thinking about almost all of the Meguiars products cost this) for a pack of three but they are worth it as they are about four times larger than any others that I have used.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks people!

Just spent £70 on car care products:(

Just ordered:
Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfibre Cloth (3 Pack) 1 £13.61
Meguiars Lambs Wool Wash Mitt 1 £8.50
Meguiars Gold Class Ultra-Safe Wheel Brush 1 £6.80
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner (1.89L) 1 £17.01
Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax Inc FREE Applicator Pad 1 £11.91

I've put the prices up aswell, so you people can see if its cheap or not, how ever, its ordered now:)

Should get it all tomorow:)

It should be 100% cheaper then halfords!

Regards Dan :lol:

WWW.PERFORMACEMOTORCARE.COM - FOR CHEAP CAR CARE!!:d

Just done some price match, hehe, after I ordered? Lucky it was the cheapest;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your *shiny* pics of your Civic once you've used all that good stuff!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Paint is actually quite good. All i have is 1 stone chip which i got in the first 50 km of driving and that stupid scratch mark on my bumper which someone gave me :/. Dont EVER wash your car in a "washing station" it really scratches the car and gives it a lot of whirls.

Todays paints are quite bad since they dont use the same chemicals as in the early 90's. My friend has a 2002 BMW 325 which bonnet has been painted 2 times and the backspace twice also. :/. Todays cars paint job aint what it used to be in earlier cars of the 90's

Since we dont have Meguiars at ordinary stores here i use Korreks TFX wax and Korrek TFX washing fluid. Gives the car a nice shine which lasts. I use a microfiber sponge to wash the car. Dont have any whirls and the paint looks great. Only done one waxing session so far. Going to do another in the autumn. After a wash i dry the car with microfibre towels. Gives it a nice shine which lasts!.

·
Registered
214 Posts
After 7500 km's I have just a couple of very small (max 2mm) stone chips in the front... not sure if it's worth fixing them with some ink, I mean with that small fixing bottle of ink that comes with he car :roll:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I did my bonnet with the fixing ink, my only stone chip and it dissapeared nicely. I recommend using it. The paint is easy to apply and i think that it includes the lacquer in the paint

·
Registered
214 Posts
pikkumies said:
I did my bonnet with the fixing ink, my only stone chip and it dissapeared nicely. I recommend using it. The paint is easy to apply and i think that it includes the lacquer in the paint
ok thanks, I'll give it a try... did you somehow trim or clean the chip spot before you applied the ink?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was pretty concerned about the number of chips in my Nighthawk paint, especially the bonnet. I took it to the dealer and he measured the paint thickness all around the car. The result was that the bonnet is only 50% of the thickness of the all the rest.
After a bit of debate, I have got Honda to agree to a bonnet respray

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a quick note to everyone not to use a sponge to clean your car - the flat face of the sponge traps the grit particles and pushes them over the surface of the paint, causing hairline scratches. This is what causes those swirl marks you often see. Best to use a lambswool mitt which will allow the particles to rise up into the pile of the wool and away from your paint. Don't use too much pressure - you will just force the grit back down into the paint.

Also, wash your car from the top down so that you don't redistribute the dirt from the muckier underside to the generally cleaner top.

I know someone else has already linked it somewhere on this site, so I don't take credit for this at all, but if you want to get a really great finish on your civic, it's worth taking the time to have a look at www.detailingworld.co.uk - they have some excellent how-tos on how to clean your car properly and also what products to use.

·
您看了
456 Posts
pikkumies said:
Fixing ink? Were you given this bottle or was it hidden away somewhere in the car. Do I need to call my dealer to get mine or have I just not found it yet?

·
Registered
144 Posts
CivPilot said:
pikkumies said:
Fixing ink? Were you given this bottle or was it hidden away somewhere in the car. Do I need to call my dealer to get mine or have I just not found it yet?
I guess he's talking about a touch-up pen?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts