2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a problem with mums car and ended up learning a new Honda trick which should work for all recent Honda models, including the Civic.

Had a bit of a problem yesterday with mums Jazz, key battery had died and she'd managed to lose the spare key weeks ago without getting it replaced. Got the battery replaced at the Honda dealer, I had wanted to do it cheaply at a Timpsons or somewhere similar but none would touch it incase the immobiliser chip got wiped. Of course if we still had the spare key it would have been much simpler to sort out!

Anyway the Honda dealer only charged us £3 to change the battery and said it should be ok, got home and while it would allow the car to start (immobiliser chip not wiped!) the remote wouldn't work. Did a bit of searching online and found the secret Honda key relearning procedure, which Honda would have charged an arm and a leg for. In a nutshell:

1. With the engine off, insert key into the ignition barrel and turn from off (position 0) to ignition on (position 2), do not start the engine.
2. Press the lock button on the key, then return the key to the off position.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 twice more.
4. Switch the key to position 2 and press the lock button - you should now hear the remote locks clunk (they don't actually lock, just clunk to let you know the system is in learning mode).
5. Now press the lock button on all remote keys you wish to program.
6. Switch the key back to position 0 and withdraw the key to complete the key learning process.
7. Close the doors and check your remote controls work.

This procedure wipes all keys already learnt by the system, and you must complete each step within 5 seconds of the last step, otherwise the car will drop out of learning mode.

Hope this helps!

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Seen this before sure it was on youtube a while back, wish it did the immobilizer chip as well would save a lot of miether for a lot of people and money off the stealers to recode.

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wasn't sure if it was posted elsewhere on this site but searched and couldn't find a reference to it. I think I got the procedure from wikihow or something of that nature, there's a few sites detailing it but some of them were incorrect by a long way for some reason, maybe different procedures in different markets or whatever.

I still need to sort out a replacement spare key for mum before we end up with the same problem, some timpson outlets do code keys if you bring your car but I've also read they just clone your existing key rather than assign a new code for the second one. I imagine an auto locksmith would have the tools to do it cheaper than the stealers can?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Yeh i know my auto locksmith that i use can now code keys but the only fly in the ointment is he needs the car to do it, but for that i can supply a key have it cut and coded for £115 for a flip key or a standard one can be had for £100.

·
Super Moderator
21,008 Posts
Made this a sticky as it sounds useful.

Forgive the following, but can someone confirm this works for them as well and perhaps we can build a compatible model year list.

ta

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Great it works, but only to unlock and lock the vehicle, it doesnt start the vehicle, it shows green key flashing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is good to reprogramming a key if you buy used car. Previous owner can have a spare key and this will deactivate it. Still can open the door manually but can't play with your lock remotely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, New here but hoping someone may be able to help with a problem with my door lock. Recently my Civic Type S 56 plate, is showing signs of a door entry problem. The battery in the key fob is good, but I struggle at times to open the car door. I even couldn't open it by using the key in the door lock, but eventually got the fob to work, and put the car into the garage for repairs. However, after taking the door panel of they discovered that a wire had come loose on the locking unit in relation to the key opening option, they fixed this. But this has not solved the key fob opening problem, it is also an intermittent fault so hard to pin point to a particular event. What we have discovered is that if you lock the door, then press the open button on the fob the door will not open but if you hit the side of the door near the lock area, it will release the door handle and it will open. Any ideas ? or will I need to replace the locking device? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts