2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shake & Bake!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted one of these and did they see any gains?

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
It's apparently meant to optimize the heatshielding capacities. I don' think it, itself will provide gains as such - but I think it helps the manifold to optimise it's function, which is where any gain will be seen, I s'ppose...

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
dont take off the mani just to replace the gasket...does'nt worth the trouble and its a lot.

if you go for rrc manifold you can change it aswell.

·
Shake & Bake!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys wont bother ordering one then

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a heatshield gasket on my FN2. Not sure about measureable gains, but after a leadfoot blast I can put my hand on the intake manifold, it`s lukewarm. I was told this gasket would improve my E.T.`s at the dragstrip by eliminating heatsoak with the engine idling while waiting for the start.

I used the double nut trick to change the gaskets, still this installation cost me a couple of hours. It`s recommended to top off and bleed the coolant system a few times afterwards to get rid of airbubbles. On the last picture you can see a wrench with swivel ends, in my opinion this job cannot be done without this tool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is that gasket heat shield a good match for the ports, i take it is ?

Did you notice if the inlet stepped down to the head or if they were both the same

Stuart

·
Registered
639 Posts
The manifold is held up by a couple of bolts and two upper studs. These studs need to be removed in order to squeeze the gasket in between the cylinderhead and the manifold, at the same time these studs align the gasket when you reattach them. I couldn`t see if the alignment was off between the ports, you have to completely remove the manifold to check that.
In my opinion the heat shield gasket is only one part of the combination where you try to minimize heat soak and keep the incoming air as cool as possible.
I also have a diy throttle body spacer, throttle body coolant blockoff, insulation padding around the front side of the intake manifold and the fuel rail to shield against the heat from the radiator.

·
P1259 ODB-II
267 Posts
It's difficult to quantify the effect one of these have. If nothing else we all know that cold air is denser than hot air, which means
more fuel and then more power
from the engine. Why do
you think that open cone filters in the engine bay lose power?

Reduce the heat soak and you'll lose less power from the engine, which has got to
be a good thing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just finished repositioning my short ram intake in the engine bay. Basically I turned the whole intake 90 degrees and had the filter pointing down to the front of the car. Additionally I placed an aluminum shield to keep the heat of the radiator away and at the same time force some extra cool air to the filter. I placed the filter as high as I could behind the front bumper in an effort to minimize hydrolock.
Made a short drive and everything seems to work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts