2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, again thanks for the info on the gas lifters. One problem I have solved via Civinfo.

A new issue for you! My petrol cap doesnt open when I pull the lever. Currently I have to walk round the side, jam my key in gap creating outward pressure on the cap - then pull the lever. This invariably leaves my key on the floor as the cap opens and me looking like an idiot to the key of people normally behind me :)

Any quick fix on this? If not where do I get a new cap from other than a main dealer?

Thanks in anticipation. Matt

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Is the car under warranty?

·
Blade Runner
439 Posts
A quick search in the Wiki and this is what I can find.
Fuel filler cap fails to open - Civinfo Wiki

It says that on all cars after Feb 07, this fault should have been fixed.

I think you should be able to take it to the dealers and get it sorted under warranty.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No warranty im afraid, I didnt buy from a main dealer - the warranty has just run out. Anything I can do to fix it?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
you can probably buy the spring clip yourself - can't imagine it being more than a couple of quid even by Honda prices!

Fitting is pretty easy, as long as you take care not to drop the screw :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This is a simple matter of fitting a small clip in the filler cap recess, takes a minute or so. I'm sure any dealer will do this for free, since it is a kwown fault. In the meantime, I used to wedge a cloth behind the realease lever then open the cap with finger tips.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spoken to my local friendly dealer, they are fixing on Monday for £15.00. Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully no more issues!

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
If I were you I'd be asking the dealer to check the systems and make sure that your car had the recall for the petrol cap. It had to be done twice (because the first fix didn't really work) so if its not been done under a recall (which should be noted) then you shouldn't be paying anything!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
No warranty im afraid, I didnt buy from a main dealer - the warranty has just run out. Anything I can do to fix it?
There was a recall for this problem - even if your warranty is (freshly) void, there's a chance you would still get the fix from Honda (?)

edit) oh sorry, didn't see soon enough that it's solved already

·
Administrator
19,173 Posts
That's very good advice from Angie to make sure the recalls have been done on the car. The Petrol cap was one of the recalls so shouldn't be a paid job.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Quite right, is the main dealer you bought from a Honda main dealer ?

If so then they should be fixing this under the recall program.

If it is a Honda dealer then name and shame.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently its only cars within a certain VIN range that are allowed the petrol cap clip done under an open warranty! I suppose £15.00 isnt a lot of money but it seems like a poor excuse.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As long as the part has not already been replaced under the recall then it should still be covered under the warranty. The fact that you say your warranty has just ran out suggests your car is an 06 and would then fall between the correct chassis ranges. If you want to PM me your reg no I can check if the recall is still outstanding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just spoken to my local friendly dealer, they are fixing on Monday for £15.00. Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully no more issues!
:Wow: £15!

The spring is about £1.50 and if it takes someone more than 30 seconds to fit, they shouldn't be working on cars.

Regardless of you warranty, as already said, if the fuel lid spring PUD is still outstanding on your car, then there should be no charge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts