2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked at the possibility of a horn swap? (9G facelift)

I'd like to fit either:
(Easy option :p )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nautilus-Air-Horn-12-volt-139dB-Car-Black-Bike-Motorcycle-Truck-/281494975158?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

(Advanced option :laugh:)
Fiamm Triple Air Horns - Red - larkspeed.com

The stock horn is a tad on the anaemic side for my liking, and tantalisingly visible through the front grille.

Can anyone shed some light on the horn fittings, and how to go about accessing them?
Barring that, How could I go about popping out the lower grille or otherwise gaining access to the Horn - I can't help but feel the position makes it look deceptively easy.

Thanks:- If I end up fitting the horn, I'll put a guide together as it is a nice cheap mod.

·
4,233 Posts
I have fitted a four of the ones in your first link. One to my Accord and one my wife's Jazz and another couple for friends. They are pretty damn loud and to me, sound pretty good.

I had a triple fitted to my Accord before the compact one. The triple was a bu***er to fit as they take up a lot of space, and I don't recon there is a lot to chose between the triple and the compact for loudness. The compact fitted easily behind the front grille as they are not a lot bigger than the compressor on its own. No thicker, just a bit wider
I fitted them both with a straight bracket bolted to the original horn mounting hole, a scotch lock to the original horn +ve and a 20A in-line fused supply direct from the battery..

Just one thing to watch out for is the wiring of the relay. They were wrongly connected internally in three out of the 4 horns I fitted. Check out the coil with a multi-meter for resistance and the other two contacts should be open circuit.

PS. You can get the compacts cheaper than that and don't be bull*****ed by the loudness dBs the various sellers, If the horns look the same than they are the same.

·
Administrator
18,082 Posts
Are air horns legal in blighty?

I recall some issue with mutli-toned horns not being allowed, maybe as reversing trucks/etc use two-tones beepers?

Many OEM horns have puny outputs tho, so I can't fault you wanting a change.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Are air horns legal in blighty?

I recall some issue with mutli-toned horns not being allowed, maybe as reversing trucks/etc use two-tones beepers?

Many OEM horns have puny outputs tho, so I can't fault you wanting a change.
Think multi-tone are ok provided they sound and finish together so the different horns are blended together into a single tone and sound as one ie. they don't play a tune or alternate between tones. Anything that oscillates or plays a tune is banned.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The law isn't particular specific on air horns, provided they blow a constant tone, and be 'non strident'

That said, if you did fit a train horn you are fairly likely to be pulled up for it if you are using it improperly on public order / noise offences; there are some good threads on pistonheads about it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts