2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a bit of a back story to this one, so bear with me...

A little while back I noticed that the aux belt on my FN2 was squeaking / chattering, so got the car over to my local garage to get it checked out. They diagnosed the tensioner and idler pulley as being worn and having excessive play, so replaced both, along with the belt, using OEM parts.

For a couple of days, the noise was gone completely, but on starting the car up from dead cold one morning there was a really quite loud chattering/rattling noise from the engine bay. I quickly switched the engine off, restarted it, and the noise was much quieter, reduced to a metallic chirp every now and again that went away completely when the engine was slightly warm.

Move on a couple of weeks, and this noise is now present every time I start the car from dead cold (i.e. after having been left overnight). It carries on for about twenty seconds, and then abruptly stops, and I can just about hear that metallic chirp again, until the engine is warm.

If the car is started from even slightly warm, the noise is not heard.

Got the car back to the same garage yesterday, and they've diagnosed the issue as being the timing chain. They've told me it's likely the tensioner, and that the noise is chain rattle due to the chain being loose.

I'm dubious about this, because the aux belt pulleys were replaced shortly before the noise started, and it's possible it's an aux pulley bearing making the noise (hopefully!), so I thought I'd ask your opinion!

*edit*A couple of extra things to note - the garage stated that the engine oil was "below the minimum level", and have topped it up. I don't check it as frequently as I should (I will be from now on!) but I'd estimate that it's gone from just under the max to below minimum over the course of maybe 600-700 miles. That's probably within Honda "tolerances", but seems a little excessive nonetheless. It is however filled with 0w-30 by the dealer on the last service, which on a 55k miler is maybe a little thin. It's due an oil change anyway, so I'll be putting 5w-40 in within the next couple of weeks to see if this helps.

Valve clearances are also due, which will be done asap.

I haven't seen any engine management lights or oil pressure warning lights. The engine also still runs really well - no loss of power, VTEC engages smoothly, no drops in revs, no knocking.

Video of the noise is below - I didn't capture it stopping, but it did so about two seconds after I stopped recording (typical).

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Can't load the video where I am but the aux belt has nothing to do with the chain

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that - what I meant was that I figure the noise may be one of the aux pulleys rather than the timing chain, as the noise starting shortly after they did work on the aux belt area was rather coincidental. However if people think that this is the chain, do let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to know that someone else thinks that. I have noticed minute metal fragments on the housing around the alternator pulley as well, so that's prime suspect.

The weekend will be spent checking it out I think.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
If that was chain slap I'd imagine email your engine would be dead .

I'd remove the aux belt and start the car, if it's a pulley you won't hear it with no belt

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that's the next logical step. The difficulty is that it only does it from dead cold, and even then, not every time. Hey ho.

Can someone give me some brief instructions on how to release the tensioner so I can remove the belt?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Put a socket on it and rotate it away from the belt, once you slip the belt off the top pulley you can let go and remove the belt

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Had similar on a previous car,
I'm no expert but I'd say a bearing noise also!

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had the chance yet I'm afraid. The alternator is still suspect - it's working fine, but there's black dust and metal fragments accumulating on the housing around the pulley.

It's not getting any worse at least, so I'm going to let it carry on and see if it gets worse. If it does, I'll at least be able to pinpoint the issue.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Sorry to revive an old one - mine's literally just started making this noise this evening - anyone out there with a diagnosis? Cheers!

Video was updated 2yrs ago:

"I did! It turned out to be the crankshaft pulley separating, which was discovered when the timing chain was replaced (ironically to try and get rid of the noise!). The pulley literally fell apart when it was removed - it had been wobbling and hitting the timing chain cover. I should mention that it could well be the timing chain in your case, because they make a very similar noise - so get it checked out either way"

Had my timing chain changed along with the FD2 oil pump being fitted by Grinspeed last year, so hopefully just the pulley.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts