2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me, not all the time but quite often there is a nasty crackling noise that comes from I assume under the steering wheel area. Could be anywhere though but believe it's louder on driver side.

Doesn't seem to affect anything other than me mentally lol.

Not sure where to start really tbh.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Do you think its from the suspension , maybe top mounts as these are common in going as well
the drop links, it can be very frustrating in strange noises from the car but they can all be fixed
its just a case of isolating where the noise is coming from.

jools

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think its from the suspension , maybe top mounts as these are common in going as well
the drop links, it can be very frustrating in strange noises from the car but they can all be fixed
its just a case of isolating where the noise is coming from.

jools
Definately sounds like inside car. And it's more of a crackling noise as I mentioned... Never heard a car make that kind of noise, could be electrical circuit related.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Definately sounds like inside car. And it's more of a crackling noise as I mentioned... Never heard a car make that kind of noise, could be electrical circuit related.
If you think it's electrical pop the panels and trim off if it's something arching out you don't want it burning your loom or worse lighting up your car , if check it asap

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would tend to think that if it is electrical there would be some intermittent warning or signs of component failure.

My first thought was a control arm bearing but you insist it is inside the car.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I know you insist on it being inside, But if it gets worse as the car warms up, is it possible that it could be a part of the exhaust system?
My Dad's alfa has an issue at present; Sometimes it will sound like it has been straight piped & the exhaust noise will reverberate through the car where it is fouling on part of the frame.

I know on my 1.4, The pipe runs straight under the driver's side, with a muffler practically under the seat.

Worth investigating I think

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would tend to think that if it is electrical there would be some intermittent warning or signs of component failure.

My first thought was a control arm bearing but you insist it is inside the car.
Oil pressure light has come on when I was driving across Europe on 2 separate trips, that was after very long runs and in 30+ degree heat. Not sure if related though.

I know you insist on it being inside, But if it gets worse as the car warms up, is it possible that it could be a part of the exhaust system?
My Dad's alfa has an issue at present; Sometimes it will sound like it has been straight piped & the exhaust noise will reverberate through the car where it is fouling on part of the frame.

I know on my 1.4, The pipe runs straight under the driver's side, with a muffler practically under the seat.

Worth investigating I think
It is the 2.2CDTI, is the exhaust similar do you know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts