2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks I recently bought a 55 plate type s and whilst im generally pleased with it Im a little worried about a burning smell coming from the engine bay coupled with the fact that the engine block appears excessively warm.

Ive changed the oil - its fine, there are no apparent oil leaks, clutch is good, temp guage sits under half way. theres nothing stuck to exhaust, it starts fine hot. The coolant reserve tank was empty but the radiator was full ,could this be the issue?

any ideas welcome, just want to rule out anything silly before I take it to the garage!
cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it came to my attention because of the smell and on opening the bonnet the engine is extremely warm even after short journey. I cant put a number on the temp but as soon as I open the hood the heat hits you . sounds stupid but never had that before in any of my cars.do these engines run "hot"?

no oil spills.

the smell does seem to come from the radiator area. I know its hard to diagnose without seeing it!
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You mentioned it was low on water, could it be some leak/evaporation happening leading you to believe it's hotter than it is as this cloud hits you when opening the bonnet?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
it came to my attention because of the smell and on opening the bonnet the engine is extremely warm even after short journey. I cant put a number on the temp but as soon as I open the hood the heat hits you . sounds stupid but never had that before in any of my cars.do these engines run "hot"?

no oil spills.

the smell does seem to come from the radiator area. I know its hard to diagnose without seeing it!
cheers
Yeah the engines do run quite hot. Depends where you've been driving.

I drove to Cornwall over Bodmin obviously on the A30 and although its hilly I didn't exactly gun it. When I got there and opened the bonnet after parking the car and turning it off, the engine was red hot and pinking. I then had an issue with closing the bonnet so called Breakdown and the AA guy said the temp was normal.

I'd run yours into a Honda dealer just to be sure, but they do run quite warm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive now noticed the coolant I filled the reserve with has gone down slightly.i also noticed some white smoke and water from the exhaust...... I may have a head gasket issue argh! goib ro garage tomorrow for test :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
ive now noticed the coolant I filled the reserve with has gone down slightly.i also noticed some white smoke and water from the exhaust...... I may have a head gasket issue argh! goib ro garage tomorrow for test :rolleyes:
Yeah that doesn't sound good.

What did the garage say?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Is the weather cool or cold ATM?

If it is so, you will feel the heat off the bonnet much more easily.

Water in the exhaust is somewhat normal, it is just condensation white smoke could either be gasket or you can see the exhaust cause it is cold(think of breath on a cold day)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thermostat changed and new radiator cap, coolant still disappearing so either the water pump or head gasket now:mad: smell of burning coolant still strong, back to garage tomorrow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts