2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 1.8ES:

This weekend, the hottest for a while, the a/c failed. I've had the relay replaced before so I don't think its that. When I turn it on I heard a nasty clicking noise almost like a fan with some plastic hitting the blades, and no cold air. So something is switching on, but its not happy. I've kept it off and used the manual air conditioning (wound down the windows) .

If anyone can point mne in the right direction, I'd like to see if I can fix it myself. I hoping the entire dashboard doesn't have to come out as it sounds like it may be from the back of there (I may be wrong).

The normal passenger compartment fan with the a/c off seems to work fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I use the car about once a week. I always have the a/c on. I _believe_ it was working within the past two weeks (I used it early morning over the last week, so my only doubt is it could have been unnoticed if the outside air was cold). Its definately worked in the last month.

One thing I can say for sure is the whirring/grinding fan noise when I put it on, only appeared this weekend.

I've never had it recharged - it was checked by an a/c guy last year as it stopped working. On that occassion it was just the relay and as it appeared to be nice and cold air, it didn't need re-gassing.

Would lack of gas cause that weird noise?

I should also note that I've posted another thread explaining that my oil ran out this weekend. I'm hoping its not connected. I cannot see any oil or coolant etc leaks at all. Car has only done 56k.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Good to hear that you keep the AC on, that'll help prolong it's life.

AC is separate from engine oil so I suspect the two issues are unrelated.

As it was checked last year, then I would get it checked for leaks/gas again. Check for damp/dark patches on the condensor and AC joints/pipework.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
the grinding noise could be something stuck in the AC coolant fan

pop the bonnet and see if the two fans on the radiator spin freely ( keep the keys out of the ignition when you do this )

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wow £60 I've seen up here garages do it for £45 but I was sceptical that it maybe too cheap me,my boss did it last year but didn't seem to come down to coooooollllllll stage (freezing) I think he did it wrong lol . How long does it last if you only use it on such hot days?
Depends on where you go, KwikFit is ~£60, and that's about what I'd budget for a decent recharge:- Honda will do an Aircon Service for £65, But I think this is more expensive for the new 1234567910abcd ( ) refrigerant.
Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
It's not a consumable item as such; There is some leakage through seals, however it should last years without needing a regas:- The more you use the AC, the more lubricated the seals, and the longer the refrigerant will remain contained is the essential message.

Both of my parent's cars, a Corsa & a 159 have never had a regas and still work perfectly - Most likely because the AC is left at a set temperature the majority of the time, and used whenever the car is on.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Arh so use it when ever possible and sometimes in the winter to keep it going ?
It's not a consumable item as such; There is some leakage through seals, however it should last years without needing a regas:- The more you use the AC, the more lubricated the seals, and the longer the refrigerant will remain contained is the essential message.

Both of my parent's cars, a Corsa & a 159 have never had a regas and still work perfectly - Most likely because the AC is left at a set temperature the majority of the time, and used whenever the car is on.
Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Back to the thread topic:

I had a look under the bonnet whilst the A/C was switched on. There is a distinct almost diesel engine type noise (its a petrol engine) when I switch on the a/c, that varies with the idle speed. The radiator fan seemed to be running smoothly.

As soon as I switch the a/c off the engine returns to its normal running sound.

The only other sound I hear is the slight hiss of the a/c when sitting in the car. But no cold air arrives. So I'm guessing the relay is ok. Would this be the condenser (if there is such a thing) or compressor? I'm not even sure where that is.

Obviously I may have to call an expert, but I'd like to have a good idea where the problem lies if anyone has any pointers.

·
4,258 Posts
I will paraphrase an extract from Post #2. "Have you had it re gassed?"
Get it done and have the AC 'expert' put UV dye in it so that you can spot any leaks later if necessary .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Trying to find a great guy that came out the time the relay went. Where the heck did I put his business card.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just looking at some pictures from a mobile air con guy - there's a civic with the front bumper removed. Does this need to be removed for re-gassing?

Took mine off to fix a windscreen washer motor issue, and it was a nightmare.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've been looking at videos for 19 minutes, and now I'm obviously an expert.:wink3:

I'm suspecting the compressor bearings.Not sure how often they go on the Civic, but the compressor looks like a nightmare to get to. Will see what an expert says, when I find one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm having trouble with mine, had it regas'd and fitted the new improved relay (mitbusa) or whatever.

Still no luck, i'm thinking condenser next or compressor. By time I sort this we will be into autumn and i'll no longer have the desire to justify fixing it lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same age car as mine...wonder if the compressors were dodgy or perhaps beyond lifespan now. Any extra noise on yours when you turn on the a/c?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts