2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a wee read at the robbo51-fatboy-detail thread and noticed a few of the pros commenting on the use of certain Scholl Concepts products.

Should these products not be used on certain cars? Does S3 cut through more than S17+ or S40? What's the most effective for removing swirls?

Sorry for all the questions but I was going to buy some S17+ and after reading the comments, wasn't sure any more :confused:

Would someone be able to clear up what they all do?! lol

Cheers
DP

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
From all the threads I have been reading on here I've learnt (hopefully correctly) that S17 and S40 are a good combination to go for on Honda paint. Also The white CG Hex Logic medium pad too

I personally think S17 sounds a bit scary as I've read that this is a heavy cut. I currently have megs ultra cut 105 and megs ultra finishing 205 from the recent group buy that Dean ran on the DA which I believe are good for the beginners.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE using Tapatalk 2

·
B16 OJR
1,015 Posts
I went into Autobrite direct to ask them this same question, they said scholl is best used on the harder German paint like BMW as it is "aggressive" saying that some of the best polished Hondas on here have used the s17+ so I think if you go steady should be ok! Personally I love menzerna with sonus pads on my DA nice and steady gives great results in my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
At Magic Matts training day we used Scholl polishes with CG hex pads quite a bit on Honda paint.
S17+ on a CG white (light) polishing pad gave quite good results with low paint removal rates but didn't remove all marks as the bonnet three had was a right mess.
We moved up to P1(a step up from S17+ with this pad) on a CG green (medium) polishing pad. It removed all defects, apart from stone chips!!! But it did take quite a bit of paint off and needed refining at produce a good finish.

From my, admittedly limited, experience the harshest combo I would use all over, especially without a paint gauge is S17+ on a CG white pad but would use S17+ on a green pad for localised deeper scratches.

·
JAE 2012 "cleanest car"
2,464 Posts
A combo of s17 and s40 on finshing pads works well on Honda paint. Iv used s40 on a lake country pad on mine as it didn't have many swirls and was very happy with the finish but it wouldn't get rid of heavy swirls. The good thing about s17 is that you control it with the speed of your machine and you're pad choice

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I think I may be suitably experienced on Scholl to pop a few comments in here....S17+ "aggressive" dont make me laugh..."best used on german hard paints" dont make me laugh....

its apparent that some people get on with the system and others dont....thats what it is, a system and the pad choice controls ALL scholl polishes....dont really care what others say about it....

Yes S3 is harsh but even harsher on a firm pad....but put it together with a finishing pad and you will get true correction and finish in one step....some may disagree but hey...try it....

S30 and S40 give 2 different finishes one wet and one crisp....the thing is i dont get on with either of those 2 which is why i use S17+ to finish 80% of jobs with...the other 20% are finished with Nanotech Super Gloss....

So are they aggressive...let the user make that choice....its all about pressure with SC and more so the first 30 seconds or so...if someone thinks S17+ is aggressive ask them to check the micron removal afterwards....depending on pad choice you can get certain results by removing around a micron...as i have and shown in the past....

But the polish that Scholl have just released is S20 Blue....perfect for those stickier paints as it has a tad more lubricity to it....

The user is in control of the polish not the other way around....

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I used S17+ on Tristans car..It worked very well on the very light swirls he had.
As you know..I used S3 on Petes..only because we had a short amount of time. Despite the slagging from Detailers, it worked very well, removed them easier and without removing too much...I knew how aggressive it can be and how soft Honda paint can be..but I didnt work it very long...in effect part worked with S3 would sum it up..The rotary was used afterwards with S17+ to finish it with good results

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Russ...I told Magic that I was not getting sufficient correction on VAG paint using S17+ and an Optimum MF pad..He suggested I used S3.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Id say megs 105 is probably equal if not more aggressive than s3.

s17 is less than 105 but more cut than 205.

Ive done a single stage enhancement on my civic with s17 which gave good results.

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
As Russ said, it all boils down to the pad and technique. IIRC Robbo, you were using S17 on m/f pads and not getting anywhere with VAG paint? so in this scenario, you can't really get any more cut from the pad so the next logical step would be to move onto a more aggressive polish, hence the S3.

S17 is possibly the best all round polish, in that you can use it for great cut on hard paints or light cut on softer paints - it is easily the most versatile in the range, as it greatly relies on the pad choice for the amount of cut required.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
As Russ said, it all boils down to the pad and technique. IIRC Robbo, you were using S17 on m/f pads and not getting anywhere with VAG paint? so in this scenario, you can't really get any more cut from the pad so the next logical step would be to move onto a more aggressive polish, hence the S3.

S17 is possibly the best all round polish, in that you can use it for great cut on hard paints or light cut on softer paints - it is easily the most versatile in the range, as it greatly relies on the pad choice for the amount of cut required.
Thats right Matt
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cleaning/87592-how-aggressive-scholl-products.html#post1399754
I now have a new pad(white Hex) ..I hope to use it soon with S17+

1 - 19 of 19 Posts