2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

The other half bought her/our first Honda the other day, we are very excited about collection Monday. I am using the time in-between to do my research (long story short, comprehensive warranty and a small bit of prior knowledge meant I didn't do my normal in-depth checks etc).

What I am really curious about is how different a Type-R is from the normal civic. I'm getting somewhat confused with the squillion different chassis codes, generations and what-not employed by Honda. I know the Chassis codes for the Type-Rs, and ours is FN2, I am wondering - was there an FN2 for the regular Civic? Or was that chassis code exclusive to the CTR? Is it different from an FN?

I can see the obvious differences between the cooking civic and the Type R (Bonkers engine, gorgeous interior), but wondered whether there are more subtle ones? I know with my M3, for example, the bodies are assembled in a different way, they are slightly wider than the stock M3, some panels are changed etc etc...

Thanks all!

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Hi James and Katie,

As you have said, FN2 refers only to the Type R (8th Generation).

The other models are:-

FK1: 1.4 petrol 5 door
FK2: 1.8 petrol 5 door
FK3: 2.2 diesel 5 door
FD2: 2.0 petrol Type R saloon.

Just to make things more vague, the 9G Type R is an FK2.....

·
Enjoying life
8,562 Posts
FN2 is just the CTR 8th gen civic.
FK2 is the new CTR
FK3 is the 8th gen 2.2 diesel
FN1/3 is the 1.4 & 1.8 petrol (I think)

Older CTR's..... EP3 (2001-2006), EK9 before that.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the thing really confusing me is the new Civic Type R is a "9G", but the new civic is a 10G...

Multiple chassis codes getting a tiny bit confusing as by and large BMW/Porsche (with whom I am much more familiar) tend to use only one per body type/shape (eg. E46 is basically every 3 series from 99 to 2006 regardless of whether it's a 316d or an M3)

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I think the thing really confusing me is the new Civic Type R is a "9G", but the new civic is a 10G...

Multiple chassis codes getting a tiny bit confusing as by and large BMW/Porsche (with whom I am much more familiar) tend to use only one per body type/shape (eg. E46 is basically every 3 series from 99 to 2006 regardless of whether it's a 316d or an M3)
The 10G civic isn't out until next year sometime. All new civic's are 9G's at the moment.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense, managed to find a fair bit of info on the wiki.

Out of curiosity, did Honda ever offer a dark headliner as an option? It's pretty much the only thing I really don't like about the car - never been a fan of light coloured headliners

·
Coffee isnt my cup of tea
1,264 Posts
Makes sense, managed to find a fair bit of info on the wiki.

Out of curiosity, did Honda ever offer a dark headliner as an option? It's pretty much the only thing I really don't like about the car - never been a fan of light coloured headliners
Sadly not, I completely agree though. My Astra had a black roof liner and looks 100 times better than the light colour especially with the seats being red and black!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like her birthday present is coming from Dave the trimmer then!

It doesn't look like a big job to remove the liner either

·
Enjoying life
8,562 Posts
Do people really notice the colour of the roof liner?

·
Coffee isnt my cup of tea
1,264 Posts
I don't take any notice on a day to day but after having a black one it really does make a massive difference. But it does also make the car a lot darker inside so I can see why they don't do it black

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do people really notice the colour of the roof liner?
Yes - as mad as it might sound I class a light coloured headliner as being the sign of a cheap car. Don't ask me why.

In the several BMWs and Minis I have been in, a dark coloured headliner (when combined with a dark interior) really makes the thing feel like a quality affair.

I quite fancy getting a black alcantara headliner, with red diamond stitching. Inspired by a TVR tuscan retrim I saw

·
Enjoying life
8,562 Posts
I quite like that. You may or may not remember the old vinyl roof liners that had what I can only describe as a million pin pricks. They were quality, lol.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In a light interior, a light headliner definitely makes a difference - but with a black interior it just feels wrong. I "get" the logic of a light headlining, but a dark one is just a classier affair - end of :D

Still, she's counting down the hours until we pick the new beastie up. We are celebrating having a remarkably practical car by going shopping. I was honestly shocked by the size of the boot

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I quite like that. You may or may not remember the old vinyl roof liners that had what I can only describe as a million pin pricks. They were quality, lol.
They were good for absorbing the tobacco smoke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts