2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
They're probably busy. Why do you need it closed. Just don't log on.....

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Stuart
580 Posts
They're probably busy. Why do you need it closed. Just don't log on.....

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2
I suspect to remove any personal information attached to his account from the site. Stops you leaving a trail of data about you all over the place.

You haven't been a member long mate? Did you get a new car? Or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
In order to close an account, the Mods or our Main Man would have to delete all of the posts.
You have about 100, imagine having to delete all of mine (5000) for instance :- what a lot of hassle.
So :- you just don't post any more and what you have posted will stay on the forum for ever.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
In order to close an account, the Mods or our Main Man would have to delete all of the posts.
You have about 100, imagine having to delete all of mine (5000) for instance :- what a lot of hassle.
So :- you just don't post any more and what you have posted will stay on the forum for ever.
vBulletin offers this functionality via the Admin control panel. And even if it didn't, it is quite straightforward to write an SQL query to do so.

·
1.4 can look awsome too
402 Posts
A Good forum do not delete post in open threads, a forum full of unuseful threads and dead ends in their post will no one like.
See your self this forum if the 1000k++ post guys decided to just delete them self and their posts, it wouldn't be anything else left than a totall mess

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
A Good forum do not delete post in open threads, a forum full of unuseful threads and dead ends in their post will no one like.
See your self this forum if the 1000k++ post guys decided to just delete them self and their posts, it wouldn't be anything else left than a totall mess
Well said Young Man.:cool:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Stuart
580 Posts
Not sure on where legality comes into it...Are any posts I make owned by me? And therefore reserve the right to remove them?

Assuming I "own" my posts:
Then I reserve the right to delete them all regardless of what the number is, or what affect it will have on the forum. One would hope however that they would not wish to do so of course. Your years of contribution then all becomes wasted effort.

Assuming I don't "own" my posts:
I still own my personal data, and can challenge what is stored about me.

This can be handled while retaining the "value added" stuff that contribute to the forum content - that I don't own.

I'm not familiar with vBulletin, but Id imagine its not rocket science to orphan the posts from the user. So the user can be removed, and the posts remain.

If orphaning isn't an option in vBulletin (database model was designed to be high integrity) another way would be providing the facility to "scramble" all your account data to meaningless crap. Keeping your user alive(albeit useless, with an inability to login) and still retaining "useful content".

Both methods obviously won't cover your privacy if you have shared personal information directly in your posts. At least it will keep the "(useful) content" active that you have contributed to the forum during your tenor.

EDIT:
As confirmed above, mods don't delete accounts. Which could very well go some way towards our reported 48,000 members...How many have long gone? Its just advertising.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I'm not familiar with vBulletin, but Id imagine its not rocket science to orphan the posts from the user. So the user can be removed, and the posts remain.
When deleting user accounts you have the option to remove the users posts, or leave them as orphaned.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts