2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

Going to be getting an fn2 but its got a toyo sports decat pipe.I believe thats literally the only mod.

I've owned the 1.8 in past but had no mods,so its unknown territory for me. I literally know very little about exhaust systems/etc.

I'm guessing the decat isn't even legal to pass an MOT , so I'm wondering how it would be legal to insure.

Is this possible to insure/what are good companies to go with?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
22 Posts
You just declare it to your insurer. Some might say they won’t provide you insurance with mods (not refuse you insurance), others may increase your premium because of it. Or you could just not tell them.

To pass the MOT, you’ll more than likely need to swap the decat for an oem cat each time it goes in.

Why did they put a decat on it? Has the previously had other mods (such as an exhaust system) and the owner has returned it back to stock? Ask the owner if they have passed an mot with the decat on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had a full exhaust system and some kind of turbo or something . I'm not very savvy about mods so pardon my ignorance haha.

He said it passed the MOT, but he'd just slip the guys an extra tenner.

Is it worth calling the insurance and asking? If they say no,is there any you recommend?

I've heard you can sometimes call your insurer with a stock car and they'll only charge some cash (not too much) to add some kind of mods. Meanwhile if I go on the comparison sites and put 'exhaust mod' in, the price skyrockets by about £500.

Whats do you reckon the best way to do it is?

also,in the case of not telling them,couldn't that lead to it being void in the case of a crash?

thanks for your reply :)

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
the car is not road legal without the cat so if you declare it you will never get a pay out if you have a accident as the car is not road worthy

your best bet is say nothing and play dumb you get a mot tester who lets it pass or replace the cat every mot
I really cant see how they can quote you for a mod that makes the car not road legal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally I would buy a standard manifold and sell the decat. I have done almost everything I possibly can go my car expect the manifold as it will not be road legal and will cause issues. I suppose it's up to yourself however I wouldn't run the risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys. do you have links to the standard manifold? as i said the car is pristine and thats the only issue i have with it as i've never meddled with mods and don't fancy having something which could make my insurance void haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I would buy a standard manifold and sell the decat. I have done almost everything I possibly can go my car expect the manifold as it will not be road legal and will cause issues. I suppose it's up to yourself however I wouldn't run the risk.
also.the other option i was looking at was a sports manifold. as i said im not very informed,but i think they pass the MOT and i could possibly declare it?

sorry if its dumb questions all around haha

·
Registered
170 Posts
Standard cat and manifold with cost you the best part of £400 plus fitting if you can't do it yourself.

Not sure what a sports manifold is, but pretty much all the manifolds available for the fn2 will be decat.

Alternatively you could just get a sports cat welded into the exahust

I was going to do the same after fitting my decat manifold, but I fell in love with the noise so I'm leaving it now lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry thats what I meant,a sports cat.would that help in passing the mot?guess you'd remove the decat to fit the sports cat?

and since you have a decat,whats the deal with insurance in your case? have you ever been stopped?

thanks mate

·
Registered
87 Posts
Okay so you can go with a 400+ cell sports cat however you will have to weld it into the manifold and they are expensive and dont really last that long, probably a year at best. Looking at the gains of a sports cat it doesn't really add much of a gain for the cost, probably about 2-5 bhp max. You can go down the road of keeping the decat and swapping it out for a standard cat exhaust for the MOT and hope you dont get spot checked or it come up in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've heard of horror stories. And police have in office hours rang insurers at the side of the road and prosecuted people for undeclared modifications. But the chances of a police officer looking under the car and knowing enough to spot a decat is unlikely. Unless you've accompanied it with a full system and it's obnoxiously loud or with a long list of other modifications, I doubt the insurers will bat an eyelid.
And if you did crash it and they inspected the vehicle, most inspectors just inspect the damage to the vehicle, they don't go prodding underneath for modifications. But of course window tints can void your insurance policy if they aren't factory.

I had the hassle with a car I bought modified, it had window tints, an upgraded stereo and larger alloys off a sport model of the base model I was driving. Second day of ownership I got rear ended and the car was a write off, I had to take pictures of the crash without including my tints and then peeled them off the next day and sourced correct wheels from a scrapyard. Way too much hassle to avoid the policy being void.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks a lot mate.the car actually has tints on too so thanks for pointing it out. would i just call insurer and let them know its got tints?

i think ill try and get a standard catalytic converter although currently i wont have the funds to fit it straight away. thats kind of my issue.its a great car but has one or two mods (back tints and the decat) which make me a bit nervous if I get stopped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks a lot mate.the car actually has tints on too so thanks for pointing it out. would i just call insurer and let them know its got tints?

i think ill try and get a standard catalytic converter although currently i wont have the funds to fit it straight away. thats kind of my issue.its a great car but has one or two mods (back tints and the decat) which make me a bit nervous if I get stopped.
Some type r's have window tints by the factory pal, if it was done by the original owner you can simply just peel them off and as for the cat I'm sure I seen one on FB for like £340 as the cat is worth abit due to the materials inside it. You can change the manifold yourself if you have basic mechanical knowledge it's basically just afew bolts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some type r's have window tints by the factory pal, if it was done by the original owner you can simply just peel them off and as for the cat I'm sure I seen one on FB for like £340 as the cat is worth abit due to the materials inside it. You can change the manifold yourself if you have basic mechanical knowledge it's basically just afew bolts.
thanks a lot for the info mate. he got it done somewhere called lunatints and told me it was 100% legal,ill have a look at paperwork and make sure it is.

ill have a look on facebook. im guessing the sound will change a lot,shame as it sounds very good with a decat haha. but i'd rather have a road legal car than be risking it. i'll have a look on facebook, is it just a stock fn2 catalytic convertor i am after then?

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks a lot for the info mate. he got it done somewhere called lunatints and told me it was 100% legal,ill have a look at paperwork and make sure it is.

ill have a look on facebook. im guessing the sound will change a lot,shame as it sounds very good with a decat haha. but i'd rather have a road legal car than be risking it. i'll have a look on facebook, is it just a stock fn2 catalytic convertor i am after then?
The type rs sound amazing with a decent induction kit and that will be legal. I have a tss induction kit with a exhaust system (standard manifold and cat) and it sounds amazing. Yeah it was on the type r parts for sale group I believe or you can check ebay to see if anyone is breaking one and get a price for it.
Yeah it's a stock fn2 manifold and cat system

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The type rs sound amazing with a decent induction kit and that will be legal. I have a tss induction kit with a exhaust system (standard manifold and cat) and it sounds amazing. Yeah it was on the type r parts for sale group I believe or you can check ebay to see if anyone is breaking one and get a price for it.
Yeah it's a stock fn2 manifold and cat system
thanks mate I'll have a look at that once i get this done!

The full details to the cars exhaust system are:
stock exhaust manifold > Toyo Sports Decat Pipe > Stock B Pipe (Resonator removed) > Stock Backbox

So I'd only have to replace the decat pipe for a catalytic convertor right? i've seen lots of people mention manifold and I feel stupid because I don't know much about exhausts and there is precat,cat,kitty,kitten, blah blah and its so confusing haha. I just want the decat out as i believe the resonator won't be an issue on insurance or mot

·
Registered
87 Posts
So the above photo is the part you need so it's the header with a cat attached then the bottom is the part that you currently have installed. The big cylinder thing on the top photo is the cat and you can see why people change it as it's very restricting to exhaust gasses however makes a car legal :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the above photo is the part you need so it's the header with a cat attached then the bottom is the part that you currently have installed. The big cylinder thing on the top photo is the cat and you can see why people change it as it's very restricting to exhaust gasses however makes a car legal :)
thanks mate,the dummy talk is working im starting to understand haha. I'm not being lazy I've legit watched lots of videos on youtube but don't want to pay £450 for something then find out its the wrong part!haha.

so if I buy a catalytic convertor it should just fit in right? appreciate it a lot :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks mate,the dummy talk is working im starting to understand haha. I'm not being lazy I've legit watched lots of videos on youtube but don't want to pay £450 for something then find out its the wrong part!haha.

so if I buy a catalytic convertor it should just fit in right? appreciate it a lot :)
It's all good pal, some cars are different anyways just so happens I have had 3 civics and changed basically every part on them over the 3 haha, yeah so you will need the exhaust headers and cat however they will normally be sold together. If you look at the picture above the top photo is the part you need however its technically 2 parts. You see how it goes from 4 pipes into 1 thick pipe. There is a join there that can detach the cat from the headers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts