2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice one mate.

Seller said it has stock manifold so would I only need the one in the second pic you posted? You are a legend for helping out by the way
Yes pal, if you look at the first photo I posted the top one is the stock system with the headers and cat attached the 2nd set of photos I just posted show them individually. You need the stock system (first picture top one) and it's all good buddy that's why we are all here, have to help out the fellow type r owners haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes pal, if you look at the first photo I posted the top one is the stock system with the headers and cat attached the 2nd set of photos I just posted show them individually. You need the stock system (first picture top one) and it's all good buddy that's why we are all here, have to help out the fellow type r owners haha
Thanks. So I would only need this part,right? As his other part is stock?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks. So I would only need this part,right? As his other part is stock?
View attachment 313032
No pal, that part is just the cat (catalytic converter) you also need the headers.

Just to give you abit of an idea how the exhaust works the car is a 4 cylinder engine so it has 4 output pipes (1 for each cylinders exhaust gasses) so once the exhaust gasses are created they pass through each of the individual pipes that then combine into 1 pipe that holds the catalytic converter that removes some of the nasty gasses

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No pal, that part is just the cat (catalytic converter) you also need the headers.

Just to give you abit of an idea how the exhaust works the car is a 4 cylinder engine so it has 4 output pipes (1 for each cylinders exhaust gasses) so once the exhaust gasses are created they pass through each of the individual pipes that then combine into 1 pipe that holds the catalytic converter that removes some of the nasty gasses
aha i see.is that because its been welded in to the manifold?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the car has some crazy turbo setup/modified in anyway have you done some due dilligence to ensure the car runs heathy and there is a legit reason it was returned to stock?

Might just be the negative nanny in me but I’d be personally be very weary of a car that used to run a turbo and was returned to stock. Albeit, if it was looked after and done properly, there shouldn’t be any issues

·
Registered
243 Posts
Keeping the decat you'll have the following issues:
Potential to have insurance void although chances are slim.
Potential of police spotting the modification (although again chances are slim unless like me you drive heavy footed. I got pulled over non stop in my tinted Puma conversion Fiesta.)
Finding an MOT station that will pass the car without a catalytic converter in place. VOSA put their foot down on garages doing dodgy passes. If caught doing it the inspector will have a custodial sentence.

Removing the decat you'll most likely have the following issues:
Money spent £500+ with fitting I'd guess. You'll need a new manifold gasket from Honda etc before replacing it.
The car might have a remap and be mapped to run without a catalytic converter. Most remap work starts in the £250 ball park, even to return to standard.
The exhaust where it joins up to the catalytic converter may have been changed to fit the decat. My 4-2-1 was different diameter to the rest of my exhaust on my Fiesta, so I had the neck cut off and modified on the exhaust pipe.

So if you have to have remap work as well, it looks like you're in the £1,000 mark just to revert the car to stock. And road legal.

This is why I knock off £500-£600 from a car that has a decat and they haven't kept the cat. Or I walk away.

As for window tints, if you see this line:

When the window is ajar (probably won't be as prominent if the tints was done by professionals) then they're NOT factory tints and need to be declared to insurance.

Factory glass they apply the tint inbetween the glass in the factory. There's no film applied.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If the car has some crazy turbo setup/modified in anyway have you done some due dilligence to ensure the car runs heathy and there is a legit reason it was returned to stock?

Might just be the negative nanny in me but I’d be personally be very weary of a car that used to run a turbo and was returned to stock. Albeit, if it was looked after and done properly, there shouldn’t be any issues
I've asked and the only thing that needs doing is a catalytic convertor ,no maps or anything.

Keeping the decat you'll have the following issues:
Potential to have insurance void although chances are slim.
Potential of police spotting the modification (although again chances are slim unless like me you drive heavy footed. I got pulled over non stop in my tinted Puma conversion Fiesta.)
Finding an MOT station that will pass the car without a catalytic converter in place. VOSA put their foot down on garages doing dodgy passes. If caught doing it the inspector will have a custodial sentence.

Removing the decat you'll most likely have the following issues:
Money spent £500+ with fitting I'd guess. You'll need a new manifold gasket from Honda etc before replacing it.
The car might have a remap and be mapped to run without a catalytic converter. Most remap work starts in the £250 ball park, even to return to standard.
The exhaust where it joins up to the catalytic converter may have been changed to fit the decat. My 4-2-1 was different diameter to the rest of my exhaust on my Fiesta, so I had the neck cut off and modified on the exhaust pipe.

So if you have to have remap work as well, it looks like you're in the £1,000 mark just to revert the car to stock. And road legal.

This is why I knock off £500-£600 from a car that has a decat and they haven't kept the cat. Or I walk away.

As for window tints, if you see this line:

When the window is ajar (probably won't be as prominent if the tints was done by professionals) then they're NOT factory tints and need to be declared to insurance.

Factory glass they apply the tint inbetween the glass in the factory. There's no film applied.
I've asked and he's said it'd only need the catalytic convertor (photo underneath) as the rest is stock. Hoping thats true haha. And about the tint, it has a 50% tint at the front which I may get rid of as its over the legal limit, and 95% at the back which I've informed insurance about (legal I believe?)

·
Registered
243 Posts
And about the tint, it has a 50% tint at the front which I may get rid of as its over the legal limit, and 95% at the back which I've informed insurance about (legal I believe?)
You can have the back windows as dark as you'd like. The front ones aren't too dark. When I declared my tints the insurance just put on my certificate "window tints" never clarified what, so I went and got the front tinted as well. I only went for 70% but because the rest of the car was tinted, you couldn't see in at night. If you pulled out on a motorcyclist or cyclist at night with them too dark and happened to kill them, then you will get absolutely hammered for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cheers mate. He said 50 at the front, I'm guessing that's illegal?

And yeah I told insurance about back ones but they want to raise premium, I'm still in cool down period, any idea on any insurance which isn't too bothered?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cheers mate. He said 50 at the front, I'm guessing that's illegal?

And yeah I told insurance about back ones but they want to raise premium, I'm still in cool down period, any idea on any insurance which isn't too bothered?
All of them will charge you extra for modifications sadly. I declared mine on a quote site and went for the cheapest insurer. And yes 50% is illegal. The tint shop made me sign a waiver for getting the front tinted and said they're illegal even at the lowest grade due to manufacturers putting slight tints in the glass to begin with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All of them will charge you extra for modifications sadly. I declared mine on a quote site and went for the cheapest insurer. And yes 50% is illegal. The tint shop made me sign a waiver for getting the front tinted and said they're illegal even at the lowest grade due to manufacturers putting slight tints in the glass to begin with.
You say that but I'm 24 and declared all my mods from multiple carbon fibre parts exhaust system air filter ext and an paying £40 a month with no increases when adding mods

21 - 34 of 34 Posts