2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

How does one change username?

4K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  J. Derek Riddell 
#1 ·
As the title reads....

Anyone know how to change the username?

#6 ·
Although making a change in the database is THEORETICALLY possible, the issue is that doing that will not change the user name in any quotes or in any posts referencing the old user name.

All that would have to be done manually, which isn't really feasible.

#9 ·
None of us mods have access to the actual database, only Pottsy does.

You can read his reply to the same question in another thread:

I have access to the database.

The issue is twofold. Firstly it is very confusing for readers (especially regulars) to have a user change name. Secondly, whilst changing the username is exactly as you specify, all the quoted text from that user by other users hold the username in text format - so all those posts have to be manually changed. Also any reference to that user (eg HappyMan referred to as HM in a post). Hence my reluctance for users with plenty of posts!

If you want to change it that badly, start a new account and have the old one deleted.
Unfortunately, we don't allow that either.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, we don't allow that either.
While i agree that changing usernames(for anyone other than brand new members with 0 posts)can lead to confusion and therefore should not be allowed, i cant see the problem in a user having his account deleted then registering for a new account?

Does this mean that when somebody becomes a member of this forum, their username will continue to be registered for as long as the site exists?

#16 ·
All of which, is why my "username" is my Name ! ...

I thought I was registering my real I.D. - not my Forum i.D. !!! ...

(Memo to self - AGAIN ! - do not use the 'Interwebthingy' while under the influence of several "Ginz'n'Tonix") :facepalm: ...

#18 ·
The simple answer seems to be that I can't :eviltongue:

Oh well, I was only wondering.

After reading the previous posts, I'm sure it would't be that difficult to implement lol :worms:

#20 ·
So my mistake RobCDTi will last forever.

Actually it's Hondas mistake, CDTi is better than CTDi :p

#32 ·
And the Answer will likely the same as all the other times someone has asked - NO ...

If you have (literally) very few Posts (<10 ?) and hardly anyone has quoted them, then he has said that in special circumstances, he'd give it a go ...

It's not just replacement of your username (simple database search and replace) - it's where people have referred to you by some sort of nick-name and \ or misspelled your username, which needs manual 'trawling' to ensure everything is clean (and could take considerable effort) ...

#33 ·
As you can see from my user name i thought id be able to change it but im not really bothered if people know my name now as everyone on here are decent guys and even if you get one bad egg as occassionally does happen i guarantee youll get at least 10 of the civinfo members driving to your house to back you up so i wouldnt worry!

#34 ·
I knew I was on pretty safe ground - I did exactly the same when I joined ! ...

It's "the Impervious Horror of Copy \ Paste \ [Enter] \ [Enter] \ [Enter] " ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.