2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that a passenger is sat in the seat? its quite clever how as soon as someone sits in the seat and it will show if they have their seatbelt in or not.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
The way I see it, is that if the passenger door is opened it creates a trigger, and then senses if the seatbelt is in or not. The same applies to the back doors/belts and drivers.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I think a sensor that has to do with weight... If you put something lite on the chair, nothing beeps....

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
The way I see it, is that if the passenger door is opened it creates a trigger, and then senses if the seatbelt is in or not. The same applies to the back doors/belts and drivers.
That cant be right as on the 3 doors it still knows if someone is sat on the back seats or not so they must have some sort of pressure pads or switches in the seats

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

No, therer is a pressure switch in the seat. I tried it!

If you lift your weight off the passenger seat, you can see the warning light go out, when you sit down it comes on again.

If it were to do with the door, we'd all be in trouble. I often open the passenger door to put my fleece/coat/CDs before I get in the pilot's seat.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
The seats are fitted with 'occupancy' sensors. I don't know how Honda's work, but the ones I've been told about are capacitive proximity sensors.
This way you just have to be over the seat area, not necessarily pressing hard in the right spot. Also, people are sufficiently full of water to make a big difference.

I'm not going to take the seats apart to find out though ;)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
It is definately pressure related as it stops if you lift you weight off the seat as Bungle says.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Only on the front seats though, nothing on the rear.
The rear just have a seat belt plugged in notification.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
It is definately pressure related as it stops if you lift you weight off the seat as Bungle says.
I heard of women who's handbags set them off. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
So how does it know when people are in the back? When my kids get in the seatbelt signs come up!!
It doesn't. It just shows if the seatbelts are plugged in or not at the back. Try plugging the seatbelts in without the kids in the back and it will show that the seatbelts are plugged in on the screen. :)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It doesn't. It just shows if the seatbelts are plugged in or not at the back. Try plugging the seatbelts in without the kids in the back and it will show that the seatbelts are plugged in on the screen. :)
Surely it bleeps if the passenger in the back doesn't fit their belt?

"Make crime pay. Become a lawyer!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Surely it bleeps if the passenger in the back doesn't fit their belt?

"Make crime pay. Become a lawyer!"

Charles H.
Nope. I have 2 chilld seats in the back and unless I plug in the seatbelts the screen shows them as unplugged. No beeping to tell me to plug them in. Same if I remove the seats and use real passengers!!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'll troll around a bit today looking for a hitch Hiker to bung in the back for testing.

Will report back.

"The only difference between a dead lawyer lying in the road and a dead dog, is that you will find skid marks near the dog!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So how does it know when people are in the back? When my kids get in the seatbelt signs come up!!
On the EX (at least), whnever you open the rear doors, the central display then switches to the seat belt image, but there are NO sensors in the rear seats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its definately a pressure thing, but surely with the people in the back you just know where they are and can tell them to belt up?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
My mate sat in the passengers seat in my "old" 06 SE leather. She's a small lass, started driving, the seat belt reminder didn't come on :eek:

She had to push down on the seat with her hands for it go off. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

The manual does say that if a small child under 12 may not trigger the sensor.

Shes 19 lol [smilie=cheeky-grin:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts