2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering parking in East London several times this season.

Ever so slightly paranoid cos of the amount of stuff I've done to my car. Is the 8G broadly speaking a model which might be targeted or is the value low enough and not that easy to jack that it's not worth worrying about? Thankfully it doesn't have electronic unlocking which must be the worst idea for security of the century. Would thieves actually be able to hot-wire an 8G without a key like in the movies?

Considering a cheap yellow steering lock - are these just a huge pain and not actually that secure?

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
262 Posts
Anything can be stolen sadly. But something “visible” like than can help stop the “opportunist” idiot so worth a go.

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe stupid question but how do you steal a car without the key these days? Entry is straightforward enough. But how do you get the engine to start?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Don't worry about it would be my suggestion. If someone wants to steal your car then they will do irrespective of cheapo steering locks etc. The annoyance of having to fit / remove / store this would too much for me to bother tbh. Nobody hot wires cars now btw - modern electronics means its not possible (and even on old cars its nowhere near as easy as it looks on the movies!)

Just make sure you're properly insured (mods declared etc) but as you said, parking on a drive is going to be a good deterrent.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
57 Posts
I always park mine with my Stoplock Pro on it. I know they can be removed given enough time, but if they see that and either lack the tools or the time, they'll most likely just pick an easier target.

·
i-Vtec
4,864 Posts
I'm with rob, I really wouldn't worry about it. Personally id be more worried about being hit by an uninsured driver than my car being pinched.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Considering parking in East London several times this season.

Ever so slightly paranoid cos of the amount of stuff I've done to my car. Is the 8G broadly speaking a model which might be targeted or is the value low enough and not that easy to jack that it's not worth worrying about? Thankfully it doesn't have electronic unlocking which must be the worst idea for security of the century. Would thieves actually be able to hot-wire an 8G without a key like in the movies?

Considering a cheap yellow steering lock - are these just a huge pain and not actually that secure?
The one thing you have to worry about on the fn2 is the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always remember working in Walton Merseyside on match day, the store I was working in had its own carpark, some flash git in a top of the range Mercedes went to park up and go to the match, some of the local kids went, "watch your car for a fiver mate?" Bloke replied, "no one will nick it, there's a rottie on the back seat" quick as a flash, one of the kids replied, "yeah, but can it put out fires!" 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I don't think a 8th Gen is likely to be on a thiefs list at all - it is an old car now and as mentioned by others gone are the days when cars were easy to steal - I had a 1.5TD Nova years ago (car was utter shite & never again would I buy a Vauxhall but the engine was awesome - an Isuzu which used to embarrass the Nova SR & Ford XR2 boy racers, once you hit about 3k rpm it was a rocket! with amazing mpg also - before DERVs mpg were crippled by emissions regulations) you could start that by pulling the hazard switch out & plugging back in upside down apparently!

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
the most likely "thief" is the little scrote and his mates taking it for a joy ride and then torching it, but without the key the immobiliser will stop them

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't think the mk8 is particularly desirable at this stage no...
I don't think a 8th Gen is likely to be on a thiefs list at all - it is an old car now and as mentioned by others gone are the days when cars were easy to steal - I had a 1.5TD Nova years ago (car was utter shite & never again would I buy a Vauxhall but the engine was awesome - an Isuzu which used to embarrass the Nova SR & Ford XR2 boy racers, once you hit about 3k rpm it was a rocket! with amazing mpg also - before DERVs mpg were crippled by emissions regulations) you could start that by pulling the hazard switch out & plugging back in upside down apparently!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whatever you do, just ensure you use the Civic's Deadlock feature when you lock it. That's pretty much the only solace I have with mine, aside from the camera pointed at it when on my driveway.

At least if anyone breaks in, they ain't opening the doors.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I thought the Cat was up in the engine bay - my mk 9 looks like it is? FN2? is that typeR? is that different?

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
57 Posts
Mine still has the full undertray, so hopefully that makes it less easy to remove

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
unfortunately the cat drops down through a gap in the rear of the tray

1 - 20 of 29 Posts